Units on Strike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Units on Strike?

I have just begun playing Civ IV following the patch, and noticed that all units are going on strike around 1500bc when playing a fast expansion strategy. Based on the few games played before the patch, I never saw this.

I have not found much information as to what causes this or the way(s) to end it, but it is frustrating as science dips to 0% and units start getting disbanded as the treasury hits 0 gold.

Anyone mind educating me on what is happening here?

Thanks!

Uh, what you're describing is the symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. The actual problem is that you have no money (as you mention in the second half of your post). Most likely you are over-explanding. Each city you found increases your maintenance costs. If you build too many cities, and have too low an income, it's quite possible to get to the point where you can't afford to pay your soldiers - at which point they go on strike, and then desert.

Bh

Comment

Yes, you don't have enough gold to pay for your expenses. You probably have too many units beyond what you can support for free or have too many cities and are paying so much maintenance you can't keep up.

To end it, you need to disband units if you are over your support limit(in the financial advisor) and you need to build cottages or work tiles that give you commerce to get some gold. Really though, you should never be in that position, you should stop your growth when way before then, this isn't civ3.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have only gotten in a handful of games since release and obviously haven't figured out all the dynamics. Because the change came with the patch, I couldn't find much written up on it while researching the topic.

Again...I appreciate your quick response.

Comment

I have also experienced strikes, and examined ways to prevent them.

To prevent strikes, it helps to research the right technologies. The right Civics can help with maintenance costs.

Researching Code of Laws is particularly important because it enables the building of the Courthouse. Currency and Pottery are also good.

Masonry is useful because it enables the Pyramids. Building the Pyramids enables all the Government civics. This expands your early civics options. I have found that building the Pyramids straight away in the second city often is enough to secure the Pyramids even without stone if the site of the second city is chosen with care.

Stonehenge is another good wonder to get early. Build it as soon as possible. A free Obelisk in every city permits all the cities to work all their 20 tiles, instead of the 8 tiles immediately adjacent to the city. This increases your options, so if you have a few cottages on outlying tiles then those tiles can be worked for extra gold. The free Obelisks also reduce maintenance costs.

Finally, don't build unnecessary buildings. Careful planning will allow you to expand without sacrificing science. Don't build Temples, Aqueducts and the like until the city needs them. Don't build Barracks in a city that won't be training many troops.
          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Working...
          X