X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War-Peace-War Strategy

The War-Peace-War Strategy

1. Early Game - War
    In the early game, try to get iron quickly and start a war with swordsman.

2. Middle Game - Peace
    When you have conquered a good deal and your empire has gotten big such that your science slider has fallen to 40% or 30%, make peace and switch to a builder strategy. Focus on courthouses, universities, Forbidden Palace, Versailles, bank. This will boost your science back up to 80 or 90%. With a large empire at 80% science, you'll speed once again through the tech tree.

3. Late game - War
    Now that your large empire has a great economy, it's time for war again. With the advent of tanks and airpower, you can make a final push to expand your empire again and seize victory!
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

I've been playing like that since civ1... I thought everybody did

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
      I've been playing like that since civ1... I thought everybody did
      I think in civ4, this type of strategy is more important because of how civ4 handles maintenance costs. If you don't reduce maintenance costs, they will hurt you.

One of the big lessons that I have learned from civ4 is this: Just because maintenance costs reduce science of a big empire does not mean that you shouldn't have a big empire. A big empire is still very good because a big empire has more potential than a small empire. The secret is that you need to make a big empire work for you by taking the time to boost your economy and science.
      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I don't seem to ever build swordsmen...I seem to go axeman->elephant->cav...

Other than that, it's not too bad...although I generally only do the first war part if there's a small empire I can kill off quickly and take over all the land they would have expanded into.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
        X