Some bugs that are annoying me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some bugs that are annoying me

First, I had two sources of iron in my game. One was pillaged, and for some reason, the other was not being counted as a source of iron. I moused over it, I had a road to it, it had a mine on it, I even brought in workers and tried to re-road to it and re-mine it, it wouldn't let me. I had a city ONE square away and I couldn't build units that required iron. Once I reclaimed the first iron source, I was able to again. Is this a bug? I don't get what what happening. No, I hadn't traded that second source away, either.

The other bug ... not really a bug just so much as an oversight. I have my GP city and it was kicking along just great. I set my workers on automated and checked back after a while and my beautiful developing city had shrunk down to one. Perplexed, I set its tile usage up to generate some food. It got to two and then shrunk back to one immediately. What the heck? Turns out that there is one "forced" prophet and two "forced" scientists in the city, and my automated workers destroyed my farms and the city couldn't sustain itself. Now I have a city that USED to be one of my cultural and production powerhouses utterly worthless and stuck at size one. If it grows, it re-assigns a citizen and then shrinks to one again. So what the hell are you supposed to do?? Stupid automated workers.

Just building a road isn't enough. That road must be connected to cities for them to be able to use that resource. Did someone pillage the road network in another location? I really don't know if harbors work like they did in Civ3 but if your iron was on an island did your harbor city get taken (or the harbor destroyed by bombardment)? I believe that would also break the supply link if roads weren't connecting the iron all the way.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The node was on a tile adjacent to one of my cities, it had a mine and a road, and I still was shown as not having any iron available in that city. I'd post a screenshot but the only I have is from an autosave that is long gone, as I backed up and started over.

Comment

You were probably trading Iron for something with an AI. When you lost your other iron you kept the deal going, which is standard. Check your current deals with the AI.

As for the other issue, that's easy.

1. Go to the options menu and checkmark the box that makes automated works leave pre-existing improvements alone.

2. If necessary, select the city and hit the food button at the bottom of the screen. It stands for "emphasize food" and the city controller will focus on getting as much food as possible with it selected.

-Drachasor
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

I already said that I didn't have any trades going on. I checked.

As for the city going to zero sized - I know how to make it not happen in the future, I'm saying it's a fairly serious design flaw that it's possible to screw your own cities over to where it's impossible for them to grow like that.

Comment

re: Iron - no idea.

There really needs to be a middle ground for automated workers between "never touch existing improvements" and the "destroy everything so you can build more cottages and mines" setting.

There should be a setting which will leave all existing improvements except to access a resource.

I hate having to search around for newly discovered resource locations manually.

Comment

never automate workers, they dont build any farms, just cottages and mills, only gold! it seems that the AI thinks gold is the only thing in civ!

Comment

These days I usually set my workers on the second command (automated trade network). They'll go road and railroad crazy, and connect all resources.

Spamming cottages and stuff, I just do manually. It's not that much work.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                  These days I usually set my workers on the second command (automated trade network). They'll go road and railroad crazy, and connect all resources.

Spamming cottages and stuff, I just do manually. It's not that much work.
                  Yeah me too, once I'm starting to conquer I put them on trade network. The cottages are usually already there, made by the AI (I don't pillage if I don't need to) and I just add some farms.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I really don't know if harbors work like they did in Civ3 but if your iron was on an island did your harbor city get taken (or the harbor destroyed by bombardment)?
                    You actually don't need a harbor in an island city to be able to connect up the resources available to the rest of your empire. A road to the city itself is enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X