Are there random maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there random maps?

Hopefully, I'm not repeating a question that's already been answered, but I looked through the forum the best my limited computer skills would allow and could not find the answer to this question:

Are the maps in Civ IV randomly generated as they were in the previous Civs? Or are there a certain number of predesigned maps that are used?
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man which he proposes to pay off with your money.

Random .... I think there are 17 map scripts that create random maps. So.... 17 x ~65k different maps available.

if i'm not mistaken...

Comment

They're randomly generated, but a bug screwed up the random seed in the original version (V 1.00) so it would keep generating the same sets. It's either fixed by the patch or a setting in your Civ4 .ini file.

Comment

You bet! Not only are the random maps there, but CIV4 has more options and types then any of the previous games.
        -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Outstanding! Thanks to all for the replies.
          A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man which he proposes to pay off with your money.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
            Random .... I think there are 17 map scripts that create random maps. So.... 17 x ~65k different maps available.

if i'm not mistaken...
            not enough. I expect to play at least that many games of civ4. I want more maps.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale
              They're randomly generated, but a bug screwed up the random seed in the original version (V 1.00) so it would keep generating the same sets. It's either fixed by the patch or a setting in your Civ4 .ini file.
              Hrm, in multiplayer I have seen the same map appear three times in medium continents games and this was after the patch.

How do I fix that randomize thing? Second question, if I go in and change an .ini file, will it produce a version error online?
              "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

I think they added a fix during the 1.09 for this not so randomness.

Hold down SHIFT during loading to clear out the cache, which should give you new random numbers.

Comment

I am not using the 1.09 patch because it was causing so many problems. Can someone let me know what the setting in the Civ4 .ini file should be adjusted to?

My guess is it has to do with this section of code:

* ; Random seed for game sync, or '0' for default
                  MapRandSeed = 0 *

Do I just keep it "0"?
                  One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
                  "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

I would like to have even the TYPE of map be random! For instance, if I KNEW I was on a Terra map, I would know that there was a vast barb-occupied continent out there, and it would be better if I didn't know that.

I know there is such a mod at CFC but haven't used it yet, nor even kept up on the thread.

Comment

I thought you could randomize the "type" of map in a "custom game".... can't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                        I would like to have even the TYPE of map be random! For instance, if I KNEW I was on a Terra map, I would know that there was a vast barb-occupied continent out there, and it would be better if I didn't know that.
                        Absolutely. I am rather surprised that there isn't such an option.

There should actually be a few random map options:

Random Classic (continents, archipelago, pangaea)
                        Random SP (the above plus the other options in Play Now, including Terra)
                        Random MP (any of the maps designed specifically for MP, like Balanced)
                        Random All (self-explanatory)
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                        X