Civ4 cutting off my internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 cutting off my internet

I've never had any trouble b4 installing civ4, but when I play civ for anything over an hour, I come back to windows to find my internet no longer works.
    It does it almost every time, and only after ive played civ4, other games don't give me any problem.

Even weirder is that I was also connected to IRC - that was still connected.

A restart always fixes the problem, however it's quite annoying, especially if I'm downloading at the time and can't restart.

Anybody else had this trouble?
    could it be a memory issue? I have 1gig and only even play small maps, so it shouldn't be the problem.

I'm connected most of the time to a go server and my connection doesn't go down while I play CIV.

1GB memory here too, so it's probably not a memory issue.

Comment

I'm on a high-end satellite Internet connection (yes, I know that's a contradiction in terms) and I've observed the same thing. I have no idea why that would be.

Comment

not just me then, seems a pretty rare thing with only you and me with the problem

I'm on quite a fresh install of windows too, only a couple of months old and running perfectly. (except this problem)

Least the game itself runs without any problems.

Comment

Yeppers

I loose my Internet connection when the damn thing CTD's and drops me to four (4!) bit color. Grr.

It was more stable before the 1.09 patch. At least that memory leak was slooow, unlike the 5 mins of playtime I get now.

Comment

There is a Major Memory issue in Civ IV. A fix has been produced that really does work. The thread is sprinting towards 32,000 hits at the time of this post - all in 4 Days!

Its not a dubious amateur hack. If you get CTDs - slow down - reboots - massive save files etc - go now to this thread, its put Firaxis to shame

Current version of the fix is not compatible with 1.52. It either does nothing or crashes. Update addressing this issue is on its way. The patch I was coding during last month is finally out. The patch is compatible with 1.00 and 1.09 versions of civ4. So, here we go. You will need 3...

Regards
            Zy

Comment

I, also, experienced this. But for me it only happened after the whole crashing to the desktop and sticking it at 4 bit color and minimum resolution.

How I attempted to fix this:
              I uninstalled my firewall.
              I turned windows firewall back on. ( I am completely unsure if I had this turned off manually already but when I checked it, it was off. Don't know what happened there)
              Uninstalled f-secure virus scan.

Now it doesn't lock my connection anymore, but, it still crashes and acts like the worst heap of coding crap to have graced my hard drive since Windows 98

Comment

Working...
              X