The economics of slavery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The economics of slavery.

As far as I understand, rushing with slavery works like this: for every guy you kill you get 30 hammers. I.e if you are rushing an axeman which costs 35 hammers it will expend 2 citizens, but you will not actually lose these shields because they will carry over as production overflow. Rushing something that has not started building seems more expensive than rushing something that has been started, so generally: don't do that!

Okay: so you grow a guy for 22 food(cost of first citizen) and you kill him for 30 hammers. If you make a cycle out of this, you will get an influx of 30 hammers every 11 turns for your 2 food surpluss, which is a standard surpluss. This strategy will yield 2.727 hammers per turn if you do it continually, and eat away your surpluss of 2 food.

What's the alternative cost? well, you could grow that guy and use the 2 food to support a miner for 4 shields per turn. However, there are some additional requirements for this alternative strategy, you need a worker and 4 worker turns for the mine!

Let's say you have a 4 food surpluss and will grow a new guy every 5.5 turns(actually, every 6th and 5th turn then) This will net you (30/5.5)= 5.45 hammers per turn, which is double what you get from the 2 surpluss scenario.

That looks a little better, but is it? Alternatively, you could grow the city twice, and use the 4 food to support 2 miners, for a total of 8 hammers per turn.

Let's say you have a granary, which will reduce the food required to 11. This will effectively halve the time to get a new citizen.

A 2 food surpluss with granary will give growth every 5.5 turns, i.e (30/5.5)=5.45 hammers per turn. This is better than working a mine for 4 hammers per turn, if you can live with the happiness hit! Another advantage is that this can keep your city under health/happiness limits more effectively perhaps.

A 4 food surpluss with granary will give growth every 2.75 turns, which means 10.91 hammers per turn in a continuous strategy, which is double that of the 2food-granary scenario. This is again better than working 2 mines for 8.

So, as we can see, pop-rushing without a granary does not make sense as part of a long term production strategy. It does make a lot of sense with a granary however, beating the output of a mine. We must also remember the turn advantage effect, getting 30 hammers every x turns is a lot better than getting a stream of shields from a mine, because those 30 instant shields can be added to a building immediately increasing your output.

There is also the 'option' value in slavery: if you see some badguys at your borders, you can pop rush an archer or something to defend yourself. This option also has value, potentially huge value if your city is undefended.

Conclusion:

slavery pop rushing with granary is a good long term production strategy if you can handle the unhappiness, and has potentially huge option value. General rule: allways switch to slavery when it becomes available, if just for the option value. losing a few citizens to make an archer is better than losing the whole city!

The unhappiness isn't trivial on the higher levels. You have to whip very sparingly.

On the lower levels I agree if you set it up right you can abuse slavery quite easily.

Comment

There's a lovely synergy with Slavery and Hereditary Rule. Each unit you pop-rush to defend the town then adds +1 happy face to the city, cancelling the unhappy effect. Never build that first city defender or two! Chop a granary, sack some population for units, get the defenses up fast, and then get down to doing whatever you actually wanted to do in that city.
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

The one problem I see is the game doesn't let you spend more than half the population of the city (rounded down). So, it's got to get to size 4 before you can use up 2 pop for 60 hammers. At lower sizes, you'll have to build until it's 30 hammers or less remaining before you can rush it via slavery.
        Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

It seems to me that unhappiness due to slavery is not a problem, because you only get 1 unhappy face. If you whip more times, it's just that the unhappiness lasts longer, -- well, who cares?

Comment

I think there's a logarithmic effect with pop-rushing, similar to gold-rushing.

In my experience, the most economical pop-rush is in the early game with high food cities using two people at a time.

Comment

The one thing that you are forgetting is that you can't just sacrifice a pop whenever you feel like it, you must be able to finish the improvement/unit you are currently building. IE a city at size 2 cannot rush a library that is at 5/90 hammers, you have to wait until it is at 60+/90 hammers and thus you have to grow at a slower rate(higher pop takes longer to grow)

Unhappiness is a huge factor on high difficulties like people above stated. I believe on Emperor and above you get +3 free happy faces and +1 happy face for the palace and you are a looong way off from any source of happy faces(unless you get lucky with gold/elephants)

Good post, slavery is good, not nearly as godly as it was in CivIII, but still a great civic. I use slavery on cities with floodplains since they have unhealthiness issues so growing them too big early on is just wasting food. I think slavery is also a sweet defensive tech, pop rushing an emergency defender has saved a city occasionally.

Comment

Well slavery wasn't at all godly in Civ3 post 1.17f, the patch where multiple unhappiness for a single unit of population was introduced.

And slavery shouldn't really be that powerful, as a civic that comes so early. I think it's about right Prince and up.........possibly a touch strong noble and down. But it's early days yet.

Comment

Working...
                X