Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4 Installation Error

I am having trouble installing Civ 4.

I bought online and downloaded the file and when I install, I get an error message like this:

Error Number 0x80040702
    Description: Failed to load DLL: DSETUP
    Setup will now terminate

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

I'm not sure that the following will work, but I don't think it can hurt.

You should have a folder named

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information

Look for a subfolder named

{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

This folder (if you have it) corresponds to the Civ 4 installation. Verify this by double-clicking on the setup.ini file within this folder. Does the file refer to Civ 4? If yes, proceed. If not, stop.

Close the setup.ini file and then delete the entire folder named {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} and all files within it. Don't delete anything else.

Now try to install again and see what happens.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Thanks, but I don't have that file. Any other ideas?

Comment

I don't know for certain what's causing your error. It seems to be related to the InstallShield program. Is it possible that your download of the game was incomplete? Do you have an option to download it again?
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

This refers to the "Failed to load DLL: DSETUP" error for those who used Direct2Drive to download the 1.09 full installation.

I found a solution (sortof) to this problem. While it didn't totally work for me it seems to have helped a couple people (they can actually install the game.)

Basically you have to download the DX9.0c redist from Microsoft. Then unpack the contents into the same folder where the Civ4 1.09.exe is loacated. Run the EXE and you'll get to the Civ4 setup screen.

Unfortunately the setup says I have to install the latest DirectX (though I have 9.0c already...) But apparently this helped someone in that thread I linked.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X