No announcement yet.

Civ4 and usability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are settings in the ini that can fix this problem.

-Drachasor
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor
      There are settings in the ini that can fix this problem.

... and these are...?

Comment

If you have a computer that runs the game well, then I'd first try:

Sync input to smooth interface (may run slower)
        SyncInput = 1

I'd also try setting a maxmimum frame rate, which seemed, to me, to work particularly well with turning off dynamic animation paging:

Set max frame rate clamp (0 means none)
        SetMaxFrameRate = 30

Set to 1 for dynamic animation paging
        DynamicAnimPaging = 0

-Drachasor
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

I already tried SyncInput=1, but it didn't have any noticeable effect.

I'll have to try the others.

Comment

This is the thing about CIV that has honestly bothered me the absolute most about it. Yes, you could argue it's a minor nuisance, but there was no issue with this in any of the previous versions, so why does it suddenly appear now? It's just a nuisance how slow and chunky this game runs on my turn, and the only thing that is significantly any more overhead, in all likelihood, is the graphics that are probably handled on the video card largely independent of the main processing. There's no fundamental reason for this to be happening, so it must be by design, and even going out of my way to turn off as many movement-related options as possible, it really doesn't fix anything.

Comment

Yes, the game is clunky, sluggish, baggy. Everything is greatly slower than Civ3--slower unit movement, slower processing between turns, slower loads, slower saves, slower battles, slower feedback during production parts of turns. I hate the way the game lags so much at giving important notices while simultaneously reporting production for different cities. I hate the way the game lags so bad at displaying the city spreadsheet. I hate the way the game does a CTD so often when you switch from one adviser to the Top Cities screen. And on and on.

I think they're using software that is so complex, and has so many exposed variables, that the designers just don't know how to get things tuned right as to performance.

It's a great game. In terms of design and balance, I like it better than all the earlier ones (although I'll always have a soft spot for the diplomacy windows in Civ1 and the caravans in Civ2). But I hate the performance.

Threads like this always have several people who are just plain fanboys. Civilization is based on the model of moving tile graphics over two dimensions at a turn-based pace. The basic techniques were optimized 20 years ago. Some of the earliest turn-based tile graphics games, say Ultima 1, were running on less than 600 KILObytes of RAM, on computers going at 4.3MEGAhertz--and they were crisp and immediately responsive.

The problem here is NOT that this game is more complex or more sophisticated. The problem is that it's not programmed very well.

Again, the overall design is EXCELLENT. The programming so far is mediocre. I hope it will improve.

Comment

agreed with the guy above...
                but then again, there still is no reason why the units should respond so slowly, i think that was an implementation of some sort

Comment

Re: Civ4 and usability

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  This lag is simply unacceptable.
                  What does this have anything to do with usability?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

slooooooooooow
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

UR, what do you mean?

It has everything to do with usability.

Comment

mine seem okay. BTW I enabled quick movement. Slow movement was just too sloooowww.

Comment

Working...
                        X