Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P3 1.0GHz -- Anyone Attempt Installation of Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3 1.0GHz -- Anyone Attempt Installation of Civ4?

Just wanted to see if anyone has Civ4 running on an iP3 1GHz system, 1GB RAM, with a GeForce2 64MB w/ T+L? I've got an old Dell system, but love Civ3! Does anyone have Civ4 up and running on a system with similar specs? I'd like to know before whether or not I need to just buy a new computer to play my favorite game before I spend the $50 to buy it! Thanks!

I have a P3 1.8 Ghz 768 Ram and GeForce 5500. Only have tried up to standard sized maps....a little lag later in the game but not too bad.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that'd be mostly unplayable - you wouldn't be able to play standard size maps, probably.

If oyu turned all the graphics options down, and didn't mind a long wait between turns later in the game you might be ok.

Comment

I run on a 1.2GHz Athlon with 768MB of memory, and get acceptable performance at 1024x768. Note that I have a much more modern video card, though. (You should be able to do that for pretty cheap, however--this one was cheapish already when I got it.)

I've even played up to Huge sized maps, and it works okay--although periodically I get a pretty long pause during garbage collection or something. Save often, and be patient, and that system should do fine.

Comment

Yep - I got's me one of those P3 1gHz machines. I do have a newer graphics card, FX 5500 at 256m. And 512m ram.

I've been running Civ4 for a while. I get a consistent 9-13 frames per second on standard sized maps, even at the end. It's slow, certainly slower than Civ3, but it's playable. With some patience.

I get occasional crashes to the desktop, but more disturbing is when the mouse cursor disappears out of the game. Even when you exit, the mouse is gone in Windows. Have to reboot. Ugh.

It's sad in a way because there are others out there with three times the computer I have that get worse performance.

-cc

Comment

Re: P3 1.0GHz -- Anyone Attempt Installation of Civ4?

Originally posted by jvmitten
            if Anyone has Civ4 running on an iP3 1GHz system, 1GB RAM, with a GeForce2 64MB w/ T+L?
            I've got a 1.3GHz nVidea 5200 system with 768MB of RAM and I can play the game without problems on Small maps. From personal experience why I am finding RAM to be a singnificant limiting factor as I started Playing cIV with just 256MB of RAM and the game crashed constantly on Small maps, to include my computer refusing to boot back up after several crashes! I then threw 500MB of RAM at the game and as I stated above why I can play the game on small maps without too many issues. I do however keep a constant eye on my System Processes to ensure I'm not running low on RAM....

D

Comment

I played it MP for about 3 weeks or so on a 1.0GHZ 256MB ram Nvidia 5200 128MB and ran ok even in a 3v3's. I wouldn't play the game though; it's the biggest piece of **** ever created. Better to go waste your money on AOE3 or something.

Comment

I managed to get it to run on a P3-900 Mhz, 384 MB RAM and a geforce2 64 MB VRAM (I think 64, could be 128, don't remember). I had to run with minimum settings and no sounds, but it was playable when I stayed on small or smaller maps. I did experience graphic glitches though.

Comment

i've got a p3 1ghz, 512mb, 32mb geforce2go. runs pretty well with videos disabled and everything set to min. the trick is to win the game by around 1500 ad or so.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

i duno man, u can try but i have a 9600 SE and it struggles a lil even at 1024 res. but its mstly pretty smooth

Comment

I can run up to huge maps and 9 civs with some long late game lags, but few CTDs (reduced animation and movie quality in the config) with this.

1.4 Ghz Celeron (Powerleap kit on an old 100 Mhz FSB motherboard)
                      128 Mb Nvidia Geforce MX (or FX) 4000
                      512 MB RAM

Graphic card upgrades are relatively cheap, and so are Powerleap kits. We use the kits all the time at work (university research lab) to extend the life of older machines with lots of data or specialized programs. It isn't going to run races like the newer AMD and Intel chips with top of the line graphics cards, but the game is playable and rather enjoyable (you get to use your imagination, remember that?, like in the old Civ 1 and 2 or Colonization).

Comment

Working...
                      X