Why PERMANENT alliances??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why PERMANENT alliances??

Whatever happened to 'temporary' or time limited alliance treaties, where if you declare war on someone, so would your ally.

Why must they be permanent??? It makes them much more 'powerful' and therefore you are less likely to be able to 'achieve' them. It would seem that there should at least be some alliances in a game, unlike my current game where there are no real alliances.

No nation has ever had a permanent alliance with anyone else. And even from a gameplay/balancing issue I don't know why it was chosen to make alliances permanent.

Trying to bribe the pants off your 'friend' to help you in a war is not the same as an automatic declaration of war (especially since you cannot keep your defense pact in that situation)
    DrTechno

Any ideas ? Can this be modded in ?
    DrTechno

Comment

Huh? Permanent alliances is an option. Leave it unchecked if you don't want it.

Comment

Re: Why PERMANENT alliances??

Originally posted by drtechno
        No nation has ever had a permanent alliance with anyone else.
        That's what the states that formed the CSA thought, too. :P

Comment

permanent alliances are mainly useful for scenarios I suspect. These can be turned off in the custom game options.

Comment

Permanent alliances dont exsist?

What would happen if someone invaded England today, you better believe the US would be in that war also. No matter who declares, England sent troops with us BOTH times to Iraq.

Defensive pacts are what you are refering to, and yes they are in the game already. The PA however makes you Brothers in both teching and resources and vision. England and the US share military technology (chobum armor) as well as join wars together.

Now france... thats more of a defensive pact. if Mother russia Invades we declare war. If france invades them, well sorry guys yer on yer own. thats the games defensive pact.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

the point is the permanent alliance with England is fairly recent. And of course, nothing is permanent. The U.S. and England could go their separate ways 20 years from now.

Comment

If its not permanent in the game, then that can very easily be abused by any player.

Just get an alliance, share all tech & other shat, cancel alliance, declare war and wipe them out.

The current solution is quite good IMO. I see it as a way for a player to still win if he can find another low scoring AI player to team up with to beat the high scoring AI.

Comment

What does one have to do to get a permanet alliance? I've had numerous defensive pacts, but I don't think PA was ever on the table. A lot of wining and dining no doubt.

Comment

A few things i've noticed is that you can't be the strongest player - the AI you want to PA with has to be pretty weak too, and you have to have very good relations with that AI.

Comment

I have tried to form permanent aliances but i have nevr seen it on the table i had both communism and facism and gave those techs to my ally, we had VERY positive relations, i was using the play now setup, is it automatically off in that and the only way to get it on is the custom game setup?

sorry about the thread hijacking

Comment

Yes the setting is automatically off.

You have to turn it on under the custom game options.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II
                          What does one have to do to get a permanet alliance?
                          You need to enable that option, and get one of the techs (communism I think)
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            the point is the permanent alliance with England is fairly recent. And of course, nothing is permanent. The U.S. and England could go their separate ways 20 years from now.

Mmmm kay, Canada and England better example?
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Originally posted by Hauptman
                              Permanent alliances dont exsist?

What would happen if someone invaded England today, you better believe the US would be in that war also. No matter who declares, England sent troops with us BOTH times to Iraq.
                              Last time I checked, we were at war with England in the late 1700s.. hence the alliance is not permanent.

I'm not talking about where to turn the permanent alliance option on. What I am referring to is why do alliances have to be permanent in the game ?? Since that never really has ever occurred.

I mean, alliance diplomacy options have always existed in Civ 3, Master of Orion series, etc. I mean, it would be nice if I declared war on someone that my friend (ally) would also join in, rather than having to bribe them.

The only possible issue is exploit/balancing, but I'm sure that can be worked out. Besides, if you were known to attack your allies, then your political rating would suffer appropriately, assuring you wouldn't get an ally again (who would trust you anymore). Weren't alliances balanced out in Civ 3 ?
                              DrTechno

Comment

Working...
                              X