No announcement yet.

Naval strategy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so the area arround the ice caps is coast?

Comment

it also sounds to me like it is theoretically possible to circumnavigate the globe without ever building a single ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Chicken
        so the area arround the ice caps is coast?
        Nope it isn´t,
        at least not in Civ IV.
        Ice tiles don´t count as land masses and therefore don´t give you coast tiles.
        You can even dive below them with a submarine
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Chicken
          it also sounds to me like it is theoretically possible to circumnavigate the globe without ever building a single ship.
          In theory, yes this is possible. You'd have to get to paper, buy maps from all the other nations you've met, and hope those cover the entire world. If they do, and if nobody else has satisfied the conditions, you'll get the bonus.
          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

It would be quite hard to do.
            However, I've seen Montezuma doing it.
            I was playing Bismarck on a Duel map, Continents.
            After sending my galleys around a bit, My Continent and His almost gave the circum bonus, but there were 2 black lines that weren't covered.
            I stole land from his continent by Settler-spamming it, allowing me to get the Tech lead.
            When I got Optics, I explored the black line closest to my continent.

-fast forward multiple turns-
            I'm taking pity on Montezuma, not having Optics yet (an unimproved whale), with me having paper. The poor sod has -1- galley and all it has done is sit in his capital.
            I trade him my world map.
            His capital culturally explands.
            He Circumnavigates the Globe.
            >.<

Comment

Hm, yes, I was also able to circumnavigate the globe with a single galley that was stationd just in front of my continent as it couldn´t leave it because the continent was surrounded by ocean

But of course that is different from having no ship at all and getting the "circumnavigate"-event.
              After all it could theoretically be possible that the programmers built in a "has_Ship" - Flag and only Civs with at least a single ship (i.e. has_Ship-Flag set) can get the circumnavigate-event
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

"Your ships have circumnavigated the globe!"
                "... What ships?"
                "You know, these little paper ships we made with all the maps that we've been getting TOOT TOOT Tugga Tugga Tugga ..."

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                  "Your ships have circumnavigated the globe!"
                  "... What ships?"
                  "You know, these little paper ships we made with all the maps that we've been getting TOOT TOOT Tugga Tugga Tugga ..."

ROFL Imma giddy little school girl right now... hahah
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                  X