No announcement yet.

How Does the AI Keep Up In Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cordelayne, Washington is financial (Org/Fin).

But I suspect this is mostly to do with the trade system. As I understand it, it appears to really reward the little guys who are trading with a behemoth. The solution, however, would be Mercantalism, wouldn't it?? That would cut the little guys off from your lucrative (to them) trade routes, and also suites your preference for farms over cottages...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Cordelayne, Washington is financial (Org/Fin).

But I suspect this is mostly to do with the trade system. As I understand it, it appears to really reward the little guys who are trading with a behemoth. The solution, however, would be Mercantalism, wouldn't it?? That would cut the little guys off from your lucrative (to them) trade routes, and also suites your preference for farms over cottages...

-Arrian
      Mercantilism apparently just cuts you off from them, but they can still gain benefits from trading with you.

Unless you make them switch to it. Closed Borders is the only way to stop trade going out of your cities to other nations.

Hmm, the trade system set up the way it is (little guy benefits the most), is really quite realistic. Helps balance things too, which is nice.

-Drachasor
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Ah, ok. So much for that idea (pre-UN anyway).

I'm not really sure about the realism, but it does prevent the endless rich get richer cycle.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Ah, ok. So much for that idea (pre-UN anyway).

I'm not really sure about the realism, but it does prevent the endless rich get richer cycle.
          Trade between a rich and poor country always benefits the poor country more. I emphasize, however, that both countries do benefit. Part of this is because the richer country can "take advantage" of cheaper wages in the poor country. This results in a large investment of capital in the poor country, meaning greater prosperity in the long run and higher paying jobs.

-Drachasor
          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

That's the THEORY. If it's genuinely free trade, then what you say probably holds. In the real world, however, nobody really plays fair. Otherwise you'd see a lot more rags-to-riches tales (Taiwan, ROK, etc).

But we're venturing OT now, and that way leads to darkness...

-Arrian

Comment

That's the THEORY. If it's genuinely free trade, then what you say probably holds. In the real world, however, nobody really plays fair. Otherwise you'd see a lot more rags-to-riches tales (Taiwan, ROK, etc).

But we're venturing OT now, and that way leads to darkness...
              Well, yeah, but less free trade just reduces the benefit to both countries, but they both benefit. (Though there may be job losses in some areas and gains in others in both countries). In any case, the Civ system is certainly pretty accurate compared to some of the other things it has. It's nice when a decent level of accuracy is also balanced. : )

-Drachasor

Comment

Fascinating thoughts about trade. Thanks. I'll have to stop playing and pop over the world builder for awhile.

Incidentally, it was a typo when I said Washington wasn't Financial--I meant to say that I'm playing Roosevelt, the American leader who isn't financial.

Comment

In the Civ world things aren't always played fair as well. Sometimes the big countries invade the small ones. Now *that* spoils trade

But ontopic, I've been playing around with OCC games, and it has always amazed me that I can keep up in tech with 1 city almost as well as I can with an entire empire. I go a bit faster in a normal game, but not that much.

Of course in an OCC game you only ever have to build one worker, and no settlers at all. That's a lot of production saved early game. In normal games your new cities are often basicly useless for the first 40-50 turns producing workers and settlers. Also on OCC you get the bonus of having all national wonders in one city, though that mainly helps military production (Oxford I would build even if only 1 wonder was allowed :P).

The game benefits small empires in a myriad of ways. Upkeep, trading, but also civics. The smaller your empire, the more powerfull bureaucracy is. And representation as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X