Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: Civilization 4 Review by Chris "Velociryx" Hartpence (Part 2/2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: Civilization 4 Review by Chris "Velociryx" Hartpence (Part 2/2)

Chris "Velociryx" Hartpence, perhaps best known in gaming circles as author of what has been widely described as a "definitive" guide to Alpha Centauri`s Alien Crossfire expansion pack, has completed his review of Civilization IV exclusively for Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS). He received his copy of the game thanks to funds raised through an effort in ACS`Civ community earlier this year.

Hartpence`s ~3,700 word review has been broken up into two parts. Part 1 was published last week [see story], and Part 2 has been published today. It outlines his first impressions of CivIV, and recounts why he never finished his first game of it. "Where CivIII was a bitter disappointment, CivIV restores my faith in the franchise, and the direction it is moving in", he says at one point. "Yes, there are some aspects of the game that I dearly wish had been pushed and developed even further, but I can wait..."

Most commonly known in many online circles as just "Velociryx", Hartpence is also an economist, helpdesk analyst and author of other titles including Five Days in May, a horror fiction novel favourably reviewed by The New York Times.

-------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; July 28, 2012, 17:56.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

On the main page the link to 'Review by Velocyrix' has a typo.
    The link starts with 'dhttp://' instead of 'http://' but is otherwise correct.
    The correct link is http://apolyton.net/content.php/860-Review-by-Chris-Velociryx-Hartpence-%28Part-2-2%29
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; July 28, 2012, 17:57.

Comment

Very enjoyable read Vel.

I particularly like the way you analysed and isolated each of the individual components that make CivIV 'work' for you.

I was surprised though, that just after I read:

"Yes,there are some aspects of the game that I dearly wish had been pushed and developed even further"

your review ends! I have no idea what you think those aspects are; I think you need to write a futher page to elaborate. Go to it !

Comment

A bit inelegant, if thorough...
        Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

Concise, helpful and interesting. As expected considering the source.

I was disappointed when Civ3 came out too and have, to date, kept Civ4 at arms length.
          I'm now inclined to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by JimMac

"Yes,there are some aspects of the game that I dearly wish had been pushed and developed even further"

your review ends! I have no idea what you think those aspects are; I think you need to write a futher page to elaborate. Go to it !
            Be careful what you wish for.
            Ask for a page and he'll probably write a book on it.

Comment

Just the one?

Good work Vel and glad you like it.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by JimMac
                Very enjoyable read Vel.

I particularly like the way you analysed and isolated each of the individual components that make CivIV 'work' for you.

That's the last sentence in the first page of the second part!
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

very good read, just wanted to read something similar after first two games I did... good read and yep for the game
                  Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                  GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write this.
                    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Unfortunately, for myself, I am finding CIV IV to do a lot to DEGRADE my faith in the series. Mostly right now do to the bugs that are rendering the game unplayable for MANY people. It gives me every impression of a RUSHED product that was pushed out the door too early in order to make money and relying upon the brand recognition to drive early sales while the bugs were worked out. This is highly unfortunate in my opnion and almost always tells you a lot about the design quality that went into the game. From initial planning all the way to the end.

I HOPE I am wrong here.

I also hope that, with the new modability of Civ IV, once the bugs are worked out, the game will have far more "replayability" than its predecessors. But I think most of that will come from fans rather than the developers. That is, until they release the first "expansion" *sigh*

We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphard
                        On the main page the link to 'Review by Velocyrix' has a typo.
                        The link starts with 'dhttp://' instead of 'http://' but is otherwise correct.
                        The correct link is http://apolyton.net/content.php/860-Review-by-Chris-Velociryx-Hartpence-%28Part-2-2%29
                        Corrected.

--------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS
                        Last edited by Martin Gühmann; July 28, 2012, 17:58.
                        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Despite the fact that I WANT to believe in this game, I did my best to "break" it. To find the "one best answer" that was always the right choice, every time you played (like ICS in every previous iteration of Civ). If I could break it in the time allotted to me for the review, then I could point to the broken thing and say to those who read this review, "HA! You see...for all their trying, they still could not fix the game!"

And I would have, too. Not because I have some sort of vendetta against the company (in fact, I respect them deeply, and now more than ever, having played their latest game), but because I want my review to reflect the reality of the product, and if it was broke, I wouldn't have pulled any punches, no matter how many egos it may have bruised. So after giving it my best effort in the time allotted to me, I'm happy to report that I was unable to do it. I was unable to "break" the game.
                          i wonder,though,how you could expect to break the game in only 3 weeks? from my experiance,it ussualy takes a bit longer than that to devolop perfect strategys. i would be very interested to see that same sentiment,in say, a year. without a large number of random variables,or a game like chess, it is very difficult to prevent ultimate strategys, if not impossible.

good article,and good points you raise. i agree roughly with most of it.
                          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

Doh! That will teach me to not post while rushing breakfast before heading out to work!

I have now read the rest of it, and indeed the downsides are fairly well described. In fact you have clarified for me why I didnt enjoy the Spock quotes as much as I thought I would, I didnt realise it but I think you are right, my disappointment with these is due to the 'dry' delivery.

Overall, a good assessment of the pluses and minuses of CivIV. (I still would be happy to read another page or two though )

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

I only read the first page of both parts. I thought it went awfully quick for a 3700 word article.

One suggestion is, instead of having a link to this thread at the bottom of page one, Poly should have a link to page 2.

Have the link to the forum at the end of Page 3.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X