X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Marble, eh?
    (google google google)

Comment

I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Thanks, but my lack of reply was me installing blue marble after finding it with google. =]

Comment

oki

oh I've seen Mansa Musa stuck in a small strip of land separated from a Pangea continent by a range of mountains, so it's not that rare
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
            I've never seen more than one unusable tile (desert, ice or mountain) in a starting position anyway. So it must be edited indeed.

So since you haven't seen it, it can't happen?

Not saying it is real or fake, but making an assumption on your limited play time is kinda far reaching. I myself had a few times where there were desert + peaks covering 5 or more squares on my starting location.

Comment

Most maps remove any Peaks within three plots of a start location. Most, but not all.

That situation shown above is actually possible on Highlands map -- except for one thing. If it happens, the map generator will bulldoze a path out of the "pocket", so that there is at least one open land path between all start locations. I'm 99.5% sure that this process will not fail, but one never knows.

It is possible to get Forests put on Peaks, as well. This requires that peak-removal at start locations be deactivated while forest planting (extra forests at your start location, to improve it for you) must be turned on. I don't remember off hand how many map scripts have this combination. Maze, definitely. Archipelago? Islands? It's not many. It would only be within two plots of a start location, though. The shot above shows it on a mountain that is more than two plots away -- unless the player moved before settling.

The instance looks edited, but theoretically something like it is possible on one or two map scripts. *shrug*

- Sirian

Comment

It's a good idea for a safe OOC, though the mountains should be outside of the fat X.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by fishanchips
                  Canoe needed to get out
                  This reminds of a game I played many years ago. I was at a LAN-party, and some new game was just released... I don't remember it's name, but it did sound like some nice MP game (it was RTS), so a few people installed the so we could play a round (with about 50% of those who have never played it... I was one of them). So the game started and everything looked fine for me, I was doing well, but after about a half hour I discovered I was placed on a mountain, without any chance to get down, and everybody else was down there... that game quickly became boring, so I quit
                  Last edited by Adagio; December 2, 2005, 13:01.
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

This start position was for real:

Though I did finally give up on that particular game - because the continent to my East was mostly tundra/mountains and forests - it was a fun one anyhow. Never really made it far, but just trying to survive 'raging barbarians' was exciting

Comment

Re: A very bad start

Originally posted by fishanchips
                      Canoe needed to get out
                      That's gotta be edited. Funny, though.

What's up with that river? It doesn't empty into anything - your town is going to flood, and your valley is going to turn into a big, albeit highly cultured, lake.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

so.....

will you play it out?

or give up ?
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

i would assume he would play it out since he went through the trouble of creating this map
                          Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Sarxis' map, converted to a real format for your pleasure.
                            And his start does suck indeed.
                            Attached Files
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Make the save game available, I'd like to attempt one of those :P

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot

So since you haven't seen it, it can't happen?

Not saying it is real or fake, but making an assumption on your limited play time is kinda far reaching. I myself had a few times where there were desert + peaks covering 5 or more squares on my starting location.
                                My play time is not so limited. And I've made a lot of starts, trying out all kind of weird starting strategies, and things like that.

The game consistently removes bad tiles from starting locations for all players. I've seen the computer start all surrounded by ice multiple times. Every time his fat cross was perfectly normal grass/plains/whatever though.

I just hadn't tried all map types yet

Originally posted by Sirian Most maps remove any Peaks within three plots of a start location. Most, but not all.

Comment

Working...
                                X