colourblindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colourblindness

Is anyone else having trouble reading the RED warning messages against the dark background?

They pop up and disappear too quickly for my colourblind brain to read...

I seem to remember there was a similar problem with SMAC - but it was patched pretty quickly.

Who should I contact to request an increase in colour contrast - so that us colourblind Civ players can see exactly where it is that we're being pillaged?

cheers,

rikrak

You can just open the event log and read them. It is the icon on the upper left. It has the combat logs as well.

Comment

thanks - didn't know about that - i'll give it a try when i get home

rikrak

Comment

You can also mod the game to display different colored messages. For instance, the red can be changed to yellow or something else that you can read better.

You'll have to edit some XML files (or make a mod, instead of changing your core game files) but you can get there.

Under the Interface folder, there is an XML file called ColorVals.xml

In that file, you can change the values on Color_Font_Red and Color_Warning_Text, and maybe some others. Might take a little experimentation. Use a saved game that you know will display offending messages, where you can try your edits out and see how they look.

Don't suffer! Mod it, fix it, then if you are really nice, spread your mod around so others can benefit.

- Sirian

Comment

hot damn, it's FIXABLE?
          it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I thought there'd be more trouble telling two civs that almost have the same color apart.

-Drachasor
            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Yes this is a bigger issue to me. I was white and so was Engalnd in my prior game. We were soon bordering each other, ugh.

Comment

spill their blood

problem solved
                anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

brilliant idea - and thanks for pointing me at the exact files.

it turned out to be the COLOR_RED tag - i've changed it to a pinker shade of red - works a treat!

I just changed the tag definition to:

COLOR_RED

cheers Sirian!

rikrak

Comment

Yes this is a bigger issue to me. I was white and so was Engalnd in my prior game. We were soon bordering each other, ugh.
                    yeah - this affects everyone, not just us colourblind - but there are so many civs - very difficult to find a set of colours with no 2 clashing

several of the civ colours clash with the background terrain for me - but i can make them out if i squint real hard - as i said, the main problem for me was the fast warning text that appeared

but, how fantastic that the game is defined by a bunch of xmls, and it can be fixed in a matter of minutes

civ rocks.

rikrak

Comment

Originally posted by rikrak

yeah - this affects everyone, not just us colourblind - but there are so many civs - very difficult to find a set of colours with no 2 clashing

several of the civ colours clash with the background terrain for me - but i can make them out if i squint real hard - as i said, the main problem for me was the fast warning text that appeared

but, how fantastic that the game is defined by a bunch of xmls, and it can be fixed in a matter of minutes

civ rocks.

rikrak
                      Yeah, but I can tell the difference in colors, even if they are sometimes close (sometimes it takes a second or two).

I think the only way to fix the border issue for people who are colorblind is to make it so borders/nation colors are not just a single color. Replace the current methodology with a color pattern (such as horizontal lines, vertical lines, diagnal lines, dots, etc with two or more different colors). Hmm, I am not sure this will be easy to do however.

-Drachasor
                      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

the thing about nation colors is that you can (almost) always hover over whatever is in that color and see the civ name. this pervasive tagging has actually made civ colors less of an issue than in any past civ game... so it was just that friggin red text screwing me up.
                        it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Working...
                        X