Memory cure-all?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory cure-all?

I have tried to get this game working now for over 2 weeks and it just keeps getting worse. I have 2 computers and the civ4 machine is (I thought) streamlined for games only...no internet, non-game software.

Before the patch civ ran with small worlds and low settings and of course it crashed in the modern era but it did kindof work....then I patched it and well it's just dead in the water now.

But....I have an e-machine that has only 256 memory and am wondering if expanding that will make it run better. I installed civ on it and the patch got rid of the black terrain, still runs slow.

Will upgrading the mem work?

Thx in advance

Adding any ram at all will help. I had 256, went to 384 temporarily (til i went and upgraded the whole shabang) and the effect was noticeable. Load times and some turns (like when i was contacted in diplo) were still fairly high in late game, but the game ran smoother (fewer v-mem accesses). See if your virtual memory is set pretty high with the low ram (like at least a gig); it may not crash as often, though it will still run slow.

If you check the recommended stats, 512m is on there. If you are running XP, you need that just to run the computer basically.. so I went with a full gig.
    Every man should have a college education in order to show him how little the thing is really worth.

Comment

Well upgraded a gig to 1.25 and must say it actually runs "faster"....still needs to be set at minimums but can at least play.

Program still says system is not adequate but I believe that that's because of the video card...or in the case of this e-machine a lack thereof.

Thx for the help...I'm off to see how long til this disappoints me again

Comment

Got a 3+ yr old E Machine (P4 1.5 Ghz). Using 768 MB RAM & a 128MB ATI 9600 Pro & a 5.1 Sound card. Using XP Home + SP2.

Game runs fine up to standard size maps on this set up. Didn't try more than 7 Civs, or larger maps without slow downs or a reboot, prior to patch & have yet to venture further up the evolutionary scale since patching.

Comment

Definitely get a video card eventually.. at least 128mb. They are getting pretty cheap. Got one for 50 here recently. However for this game, I would shoot somewhat higher.. (6600 is fine now, needed to boost the cpu and ram mostly) Somewhere in here, there is a list of compatible cards and they are "rated". I believe its even been stickied. Use that for some recommendations if you want.

I was running large maps with 8-10 civs on them before I upgraded.. it was noticeably faster even with just 128 more ram, load time for the entire game was cut several minutes...Late game it still took a while, but once you have the entire map exposed, expect it to take a bit longer (although.. not so much anymore).
          Every man should have a college education in order to show him how little the thing is really worth.

Comment

Great advise...but the e-machine has a built in video card and no expansion slot...so I'm stuck with it

Comment

Sorry bout that.. I don't buy computers, I just build em (or patch them together from the discarded parts of old).. so e-machine meant very little as far as what it has for expansion and components. I suppose at the moment it means piece of junk. But then. .this game has its disadvantages too until you've exhausted dozens of tweaks and turns.

Comment

Definitely upgrade the RAM... as much as you can afford.

I went from 1gb to 1.5gb and the game was flying. Unfortunately the computer started rebooting... and I realized my power supply was being overtaxed. So the new PSU shipped yesterday.
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                X