Expansion Pack idea: Pandemics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion Pack idea: Pandemics.

We all know about the "Black Death". It would be interesting if they included such city depopulating pandemics into the game. Instead of the Civ III Jungle method (which sucked). Have a some sort of probability that health of a city can cause illness. Then, if that city is connected with trade routes and open borders, have the opportunity for the pandemic to spread along the trade routes and open borders.

This could bring an interesting new twist into the game around population and also around diplomacy. Having the AI's cut trade routes and close borders if a pandemic breaks out in your civ (to protect theirs).

Anyway, just a thought I had as I listened to yet another story about bird flu.

Sounds like a good idea... maybe even a 'start pandemic' spy mission.

Comment

-- "anthrax" spread spy mission...
      “I know that you believe you understand what you
      think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what
      you heard is not what I meant.”

Comment

Did Civ1 have disasters? I have a vague memory of panicking every time it asked for disk three to be inserted. I could be confused with a different game though.

Comment

This is something I really like in theory but would probably make me punch my monitor in practice.
          "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale
            Did Civ1 have disasters?
            I remember never building city walls where the city was next to a mountain. It was a mantra! (could never figure out why those mountains caused earthquakes)
            regards,

Peter

Comment

you had to have a temple in your city to avoid earthquakes in your city

can you just imagine if such a thing was implemented like that in cIV? People would flip out...yet civ1 was a groundbreaking, fun game -- of course, for its time.
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Imagine every few hours, or every couple of games, I come by, take your seat at the computer, go into debug mode (I have no idea if these features actually exist), sell off a few improvemtns in each city, reduce the combined population of your top 5 cities from 75 to 20, and and wreak other major and minor havoc as I see fit. Then I leave debug mode, give you your seat back, and leave with the wish, "Have fun!".

Some may consider this a fun idea, I however, do not.

Things like pandemics make a game into more of a simulation, which Civ is not.

IMO, leave the pandemics out, please.

Comment

yeah that would be pretty soul destroying, but pandemics where there was fore-warning. Ie the player had plenty of opportunity to prevent or minimise the effects.

But is that a pandemic?
                  regards,

Peter

Comment

Is that a pandemic?

In modern times at least, it may be. Look at current events regarding bird flu. That's pretty much what we are doing now, I think.

But we have had that ability for only a few years, relatively.

But from a gameplay perspective it could have some value, the player could look at the coming pandemic similarly to the way he now views the worsening diplomatic relations with Genghis Khan, he knows eventually he will have to fight, better prepare for it now.

Yes, that could work.

Comment

*cough*

This was actually included in Call to Power II. If a disease broke out in one of your cities it had a chance to spread to cities connected to that city via trade routes.

CTP2 also had religious missionaries. You would move them to a city and you can set up an Evangelical base there and earn gold. CTP2 had lots of 'unconventional warfare' units that made things a bit more interesting, for example lawyers who could delay city production by bommbarding an enemy city with law suits.

Oh and CTP2 also had rebellious cities breaking away to form their own civilizations.

So yes - Firaxis should revisit CTP2 and take away a few more good ideas for the expansion: pandemics, civil wars, and more unconventional warfare units.

Comment

Technically, isn't the televangalist already in through the combination of a Missionary and a Shrine?
                        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
                          Technically, isn't the televangalist already in through the combination of a Missionary and a Shrine?

Definitely - I'm delighted Firaxis showed an open mind (I think they will secretly admit they took an idea or two from CTP) - I just think they should adopt a few more things from CTP, and refine them and make them excellent additions in the expansion. (All CTP lacked to make these features really good was a competitive AI!)

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
                            Imagine every few hours, or every couple of games, I come by, take your seat at the computer, go into debug mode (I have no idea if these features actually exist), sell off a few improvemtns in each city, reduce the combined population of your top 5 cities from 75 to 20, and and wreak other major and minor havoc as I see fit. Then I leave debug mode, give you your seat back, and leave with the wish, "Have fun!".

Some may consider this a fun idea, I however, do not.

Things like pandemics make a game into more of a simulation, which Civ is not.

IMO, leave the pandemics out, please.
                            Spot on!

I wanted to say the same thing when I read the OP but was so wound-up at the very thought of it that I could think of no way to express it politely or eloquently. You just did both, so thanks!

And there was Soren patiently explaining how they wanted to take the 'unfun' elements out of the game.

Comment

And please, no bloody lawyers suing cities I'm sure if a lawyer walked into 16th century Tenochtitlan threatening lawsuits, his heart would end up on a steaming pile of them so quick...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X