Someone should make a guide concerning buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone should make a guide concerning buildings

Rather than try and figure out whether my city doesn't need a building or not, i just build it anyways.

I think someone smart should come up with a quick guide saying something like this:

If you aren't bringing in more than 5 beekers in a city, don't bother building:
    - library
    - university
    - labratory
    - observatory
    etc

(unless you need the culture from the buildings...)

and so on, with gold too.

It would probably help me determine city priorities as well. Cause as it stands, i just build in the same order, usually granary, lighthouse, forge, library, etc.

Its a failing I suffer from also, I end up building everything everywhere, in a certain order.

Comment

If i get some time, i'll probably build a little city in Worldbuilder, and add the buildings one by one, noting the effects. Or, add something - note the effects - remove it - add a different building, so i can see which one got the most bang for the buck.
      I don't know how to use WorldBuilder, so i might suck at it.

Comment

Very early in the game, I am very "specialized" in my cities. But as the ages go by, I try to build ancillery building in my other cities just to meet requirements for National Wonders.

Things like courthouses, aquaducts, and barracks to me are necessities. Buildings like libraries, even though they are not needed right away eventually lead to universities which are needed for Oxford.
        And besides, having these buildings in a production powerhouse city on research (50% of hammers turned into beakers) will kick out nice beakers!

Besides, the more you build these building, the more you can turn down the science slider and put those commerce cities to good use. You pick up on Universal Sufferage and you can build up quite the powerful civ by spending.

Comment

It costs nothing to build buildings. So don't worry about it and build everything over time. For what to build at a given time, build what you need.
          Trying to rush to a particular tech? Get some science buildings.
          Hurting for cash? Build commerce buildings.
          Health issues? Build some of those.

When you got nothing else to build them just build something you haven't already or military unit.

Pretty much all my cities get everything and I'm not even trying to.

Comment

If I get time, I'll do a building guide. I'm usually pretty happy with what I build so I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Does it cost $ for building maintenance?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                No, only cities cost maintenance. Therefore, you need to build improvements to make the city worth being there.

Comment

Originally posted by bonscott
                  It costs nothing to build buildings. So don't worry about it and build everything over time. For what to build at a given time, build what you need.
                  Trying to rush to a particular tech? Get some science buildings.
                  Hurting for cash? Build commerce buildings.
                  Health issues? Build some of those.

When you got nothing else to build them just build something you haven't already or military unit.

Pretty much all my cities get everything and I'm not even trying to.
                  It's better to find out what cities are your research powerhouses and build improvements there, compared to just build libraries everywhere because you will end up with a weak army that way.

If you are a builder this isn't the case, but if you want to conquer, it's better to specialize.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    No, but you pay an opportunity cost for every building you build.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

That's why a guide would be helpful- to help make the opportunity cost more apparent, so you have a more explicit decision to make. You could actually have a pretty detailed spreadsheet that calculated the effects over time for buildings and build order given particular terrain, leader qualities, and civics. Would be a monster to program though. I never thought of using the worldbuilder for it, that's an interesting idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        No, but you pay an opportunity cost for every building you build.
                        True.

It's always a tough decision to choose between a building and a settler.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

With every settler you send, you usually need a Worker and a Missionary to send along with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X