War for Highest Score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War for Highest Score?

The following assumes your goal is to achieve the highest victory score possible.

I've now played enough games to achieve all types of victories at Noble difficulty and my conclusion is that to gain a high score, go with conquest or domination. With those two victories, I gain tens of thousands of victory points, while with time, spaceship or cultural victories, I barely get beyond my in-game score.

Is it even possible to score high (Augustus Caesar) with a cultural or spaceship victory? Seems like even if it is, it's very difficult and much easier just to go for domination/conquest to maximize your score.

Given that war generates the highest scores, would it always be best to start out with that goal and only resort to other victories if you're likely to fail at war?

Any different experiences? Thoughts?

I'm thinking you have to go military victory as well to really soar on the scoreboard.

Comment

Re: War for Highest Score?

Originally posted by Markgraf
      The following assumes your goal is to achieve the highest victory score possible.

I've now played enough games to achieve all types of victories at Noble difficulty and my conclusion is that to gain a high score, go with conquest or domination. With those two victories, I gain tens of thousands of victory points, while with time, spaceship or cultural victories, I barely get beyond my in-game score.

Is it even possible to score high (Augustus Caesar) with a cultural or spaceship victory? Seems like even if it is, it's very difficult and much easier just to go for domination/conquest to maximize your score.

Given that war generates the highest scores, would it always be best to start out with that goal and only resort to other victories if you're likely to fail at war?

Any different experiences? Thoughts?
      I don't know how this really compares, since it is at warlord level, but I finished a game last night (the first AU game) with a spaceship victory in the 1890's (can't remember the exact turn) and I scored an Augustus Caesar. I'll post about it in the AU thread later tonight, and if I remember I'll edit this post with the score and the year.

Comment

I've scored Augustus with diplomatic. But there was a period of heavy war in which I trippled my holdings and thus got tech rate to 1 every 4 years (on epic). I could have won Domination even earlier but was best friends with the remaining AI's.

Comment

I think it's all about winning as early as possible. Which is easier to do militarily.

Comment

I think it may be somewhat easier to achieve an early win by domination than by space victory, and scoring is strong function of how early the victory is.

My last Caesar victory was monarch/domination/epic 1895. Emperor/domination/normal 2026 got me to Winston Churchill IIRC. Comparing (pre V1.09 patch) a game with domination/prince/epic 1917 to space/monarch/epic 1914. The domination victory in1917 also got me to Caesar level, while the space victory in 1914 was down several notches. Probably the base score was lower, since I didn't have as large a population or control as much land.

I also think epic may be easier to achieve an early victory, but all those extra turns should count for something.

Comment

Yes, it does seem that early victory leads to the higher score, and it's easiest to win early militarily. What's the earliest anyone's achieved the cultural victory? Mine was in 1995 and my score was sub-five figures...

Comment

Working...
              X