A: drive being accessed more often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A: drive being accessed more often?

Does Civ 4 access/check your a: drive when you load, exit or switch tasks?

I can't tell if it's my imagination or if my PC is accessing the a: drive more often on boot up after installing Civ 4.

Can anyone tell me if this is something to worry about? Is there anyway to check out what's going on?

Thank you,
    lolmeup

- Suffering from the occasional random CTD too

Hello everyone,

Just an update... After installing CIV 4, my a: drive was being accessed three times before logging into windows xp. The first just before booting from the hard drive (normal), the second just before the windows xp loading screen and the third when I clicked my user profile to get to the desktop (latter 2 not normal).

The a: drive would be accessed when starting CIV4, exiting CIV 4 and changing tasks. The a: drive was also accessed when starting other apps such as anti-virus which wasn't happening before.

Windows XP pro had been freshly re-installed. I used system restore to get back to the point before I installed CIV 4 and the directx that came with the game. When Windows loaded after the restore - no more multiple a: drive checks! And it seemed the a: drive was no longer being accessed when starting programs.

I installed CIV 4 again, and this time did not choose to update direct x when asked. The install went smoothly, but when I tried to start the game, I got an error saying d3dx9_26.dll not found. I uninstalled/reinstalled CIV 4 and chose yes to update directx. This time the game installed, rebooted without multiple a: drive checks and the game runs.

Seems good now, but I would be very interested in your ideas of what happend here.

AMD 3400 processor
    K8NE-deluxe MB
    Sapphire Tech Radeon 9800 pro 256MB video card
    Audigy 2 ZS sound card

Comment

Working...
    X