Question on pillaging...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on pillaging...

Let's say, we have a road, and a town. Enemy enters the square. They burn the village, rape the females, and take all citizens to slavery.

Then they dig up the paved road, fill the gap with dirt and grass, and plant trees and bushes.

I mean, by the time railroads were in widespread use, there were also means to destroy tracks, explosives and such. But how on earth do you destroy an unpaved, basic gravel road?
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

You steal the gravel.

Comment

blow it up. can't drive trucks through a 10 ft deep crater.

regards,

Peter
      regards,

Peter

Comment

But even something like that can be fixed in few hours, and go around the hole...

And how about before high explosives?
        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

i suppose roads weren't made as well as they are now - romans excepted - and you could probably wash away or block a road with a landslide or even a large number of substantial trees!

i take you point though - it probably shouldn't be pillaged automatically. fifty pc chance perhaps?

regards,

Peter
          regards,

Peter

Comment

Re: Question on pillaging...

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
            Let's say, we have a road, and a town. Enemy enters the square. They burn the village, rape the females, and take all citizens to slavery.
            Okay.

"We have a road, and a town. Enemy enters the square. They burn the village, rape the females, and take all citizens to slavery."
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Yes, I've also mused on this. The barbarian warrior pillages the road. HOW??? Wouldn't it take as long or longer as building the road? What is possibly in it for them?

THe best logic I can come up with (btw, logic is overrated when dealing with AI's with a pillage-fetish), is that since in ancient times roads were largely for finding one ways around, the pillagers destroy all the sign-posts, or make them point in the wrong directions. Little brats.

Comment

maybe it's the head on the poles
                  anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Yes, they probably repaint all the road markings and screw around with the traffic lights - causes absoulte chaos! It's AS IF the road was actually destroyed.

Remarkable.

Comment

But the results are just the same.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

This can only end in Wiley E. Coyote failing off a cliff...
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Something else that both irks and amuses me is when you capture a barb city, then the barbs come back and pillage "their" hamlets. It's like "how dare you get captured by a technologically superier civilisation! We'll kill you all!".

When forces pillage roads, I think of things like the axemen using their weapons as plowshares to carve up the roads, dragging the weapon through the dirt for hundred of miles! For years!
                          Any unit that pillages a road should be completely demoralized and lose at least half their strength due to blunted weapons.

Comment

Roads need maintenance. I suppose the pillagers tear down the guesthouses and eat the farmers responsible for maintaining the roads.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I tend think of road pillaging in a similar way to forest defense bonuses. It isn't each individual tree that provides some protection (i.e. hiding behind a tree as arrows go whizzing by).

For the road pillage, chokepoints are destroyed, so small bridges are destroyed, roads are blocked with trees/rocks at key junctures, signposts switched. If there are any carts or non-combat forces going along with the actual combat troops, this could slow up those units.

The connection to forest defense is similiar (in my mind), where you defend the entire forest, but the defense is able to pick out key junctures in the forest and defend those in mass, with reduced risk of flanking and encirclement. By holding up those key bottleneck points, the entire area (tile) can be defended.

The pillaging question, along with many other issues, will always have some "realism" problems. Your view of how the micro level operates depends on a lot of things -- most importantly the perception of the player. I'm willing to not get too hung up on some of the minute details.

However, I would agree that it's silly thinking of a swordsman dragging his sword along a road to seperate the clumps of gravel from each other
                              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                              X