problem installing the patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem installing the patch

i saw this problem on another thread but nobody posted a solution so here it is:
    i used the check for updates feature on my copy of civ4 and it downloaded the patch 1.09 but when i try to install it i get an error msg which says that i do not have a copy of civ4.
    wtf?

yea it's weird, that happened to me too.

I just reinstalled the game, then ran the patch.

I also tried updating from game.

Both worked.

Comment

Hi greggles,

I tried both reinstallig and dling the patch straight from the game and neither worked for me. Has anyone else figured out what the problem is?

Comment

Same issue.

Someone asked me if I was running as the Admin. But I don't know why that would matter.

I checked my registry and there is no sign of Civ 4. So I know that my computer is unaware that is installed. But is there a way around reinstalling?
        A wise man once said, "Games are never finished, only published."

Comment

Can someone who got 1.09 to work post their registry info for civ4? Maybe that will fix the 'no find' problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cornchex
            Can someone who got 1.09 to work post their registry info for civ4? Maybe that will fix the 'no find' problem.
            All registry entries are in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

This key contains two values:

Name: DEFAULT_LANGUAGE
            Type: REG_DWORD
            Data: 9 (hexadecimal)

Name: INSTALLDIR
            Type: REG_SZ
            Data: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

There are two subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.00.0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\1.09

Neither contain any entries. Also, presumably the 9 entry in DEFAULT_LANGUAGE stands for English.

HTH
            "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
            -- Kosh

Comment

Yeah, The Firaxis folder is not there in my registry. The game is installed and I can play it.

Anyone know of a way around this?
              A wise man once said, "Games are never finished, only published."

Comment

Originally posted by Stromprophet
                Yeah, The Firaxis folder is not there in my registry. The game is installed and I can play it.

Anyone know of a way around this?
                I think that cornchex's idea was to edit the registry manually and then try to install the patch. My last post should provide enough information to do that. Be sure to change the INSTALLDIR entry, if appropriate.
                "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                -- Kosh

Comment

I tried to manually edit it and it didn't seem to help. Thank you for the info though Petek.

Comment

i have this problem too, i have no trouble reinstalling as long as i can save my high scores.....anyone know how?

Comment

I noticed that the patch that the game downloaded when clicking the update, was actually installed in
                      c:\program\firaxis\civilization 4, but I installed the game on g:... I just moved the files manually from "c:\program\firaxis\civilization 4" to g:\civ4 and that seems to work just fine.

Comment

i reinstalled and it worked...thx though

Comment

Working...
                        X