Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just from curiosity destroyed Isabelle's Holy City...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW Greek polytheism contained many elements, such as the idea of gods impregnating mortal women and having heroic sons sent to earth, which mysteriously found their way into God's 'true Word'.

True, but remember that Christianity is, mostly, an offspring of Judaism, which was one of the most conservative and xenophobe religions of the entire region. Cultural contamination from Greece was unlikely to happen, and by the time Christianity was radicated into the european world, everything and everyone existing before 1AD was tagged as "pagan" for many centuries to come. Divine pregnancy may just be a coincidence, for the miserable role of women in the ancient world.
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

True, but remember that Christianity is, mostly, an offspring of Judaism, which was one of the most conservative and xenophobe religions of the entire region. Cultural contamination from Greece was unlikely to happen

That's true I suppose - for Judaism! But remember that Paul and his kind were trying to spread Christianity in ancient Greece and elsewhere which had developed their own complex polytheistic religions and mythologies - so I am suspicious that perhaps Christianity was designed with Pagans in mind, and it naturally found material abounding in the Greek legends. (The Book of Revelation does remind me of Greek myth with its talk of dragons and sea monsters.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah5
        Hm..... this info gives me an idea, I may yet conquer the world!
        In Civ?

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit Greco-roman polytheism was actually eradicated from the Roman world by "Christian fundamentalists" as soon as Christianity became a massive cult around Europe and the mediterranean coast, with pillages, massacres and the destruction of pagan holy shrines and temples
          Uh, yes I am well aware of that. And that's pretty much what I said in my earlier post... the polytheism was "superceded" by Christianity. Pillaging and burning pagan stuff is superceding.

It's a thought...for a mod...at any rate...dwindling religion...I guess kind of related to the "remove religion from city" mod I saw here last week.
          Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Does any unhappiness penalty affect your own cites who happen to have that religion in them?
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale

In Civ?

ugh sure, in civ, ugh yeah in civ, yep definitely in civ
              "I aspire sir, to be better than I am" - Data

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah5

ugh sure, in civ, ugh yeah in civ, yep definitely in civ
                Let us know if that ever changes to conquering the real world, okay?
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

Let us know if that ever changes to conquering the real world, okay?

You will be the first to know, although Japan might be a nice little country to rule, I have always wanted to visit there. But why stop with Japan when I can have the whole world. Muhahahaha! j/k ppl
                  Last edited by Jonah5; November 30, 2005, 12:35.
                  "I aspire sir, to be better than I am" - Data

Comment

Working...
                  X