Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City Placement?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how you guys each go about deciding the placement of your cities in CIV, especially in relation to each other.

Back in Civ I and II, making sure every single tile of land was 'workable' by a city seemed to be the best idea, leading to a variety of 'standard grid' layouts.

In CIV, though, the emphasis seems to be much more on having fewer, better-placed cities, and not worrying if that means laying your cities out in such a way that there are chunks of unworkable land within your territory.

How do you all go about selecting sites for your cities, and how much importance do you place on the various factors?

An example of the kind of situation that I personally find tricky - say you have a section of coast where you could grab all the nearby resources with two cities, but this would leave a strip of tiles between them 'unworked'. Do you build two cities, or do you squeeze in three, leading to some overlapping tiles and fewer resources per city, but more workable tiles overall (and three cities instead of two potentially larger ones)?

Think I would place two optimal cities, and then put the third in between for early game advantages. And then just give pritority to the "perfect" cities as they grow.

Comment

Working...
    X