Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash to Reboot, blamed on ATI drivers

Howdy all!

I was reluctant to post this until I'd tried everything I knew to solve it, as I found that I created my own issue long ago with Civ III. But I don't see where it's my own hardware/software causing the issue this time.

System is:

XP Pro w/ SP2
    2.8P4
    1G ram
    Radeon 9800XT 128MB
    Lots o' big HDD's
    Dell 20" widescreen running at 1680 x 1050

I have never had ANY problems with Civ IV except for the following happening CONSTANTLY:

I load a saved game. Within 2 turns, the game will freeze for 1 second, then my computer will reboot.

I can click on a ship, I can have my religion spread, I can decide to move the minimap, it's totally random as to what will cause the reboot.

After rebooting, I get the "The system has recovered from a serious error" window.

Here's the error signature:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

And here's the tech info:

C:\DOCUME~1\(ME)~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd090.dir00\Min i112705-03.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\(ME)~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERd090.dir00\sys data.xml

After sending the info to MS, their window will pop up and tell me "Stop error caused by a device driver" if I'm using Omega drivers. If I'm using ATI drivers, it will tell me that it was caused by an ATI driver.

I've tried both ATI 5.10 and the Omega drivers.
    I've emptied the system cache
    I've downloaded & installed the patch
    I've done that workaround with the Art file or whatever
    I've increased my virtual memory to 2.5 G minimum
    I've turned off every background program
    I've lowered detail to medium

Any other ideas, thoughts? I must admit I'm a bit frustrated at this, as I truly love playing the game. But I don't really have time to sit and play each game through to the end, so it might be nice to, you know, load a saved game every now and again...........

Lee
    Last edited by Leezell; November 28, 2005, 22:40.

I had pretty much the same sympton. I could repeat the reboot each time I loaded a save and selected an item in a city build queue. I was using the 5.10CP Catalysts.
    I did a fresh install when the 5.11CCC Catalysts were released, including .NET Framework 2.0 (redistributable). I've not had the reboot since.
    (edit: my specs are WinXP Pro SP2, Athlon 2800+, Asus A7V600, 1GB PC2700, Radeon 9800Pro/128, TB Santa Cruz, and such)
    Broogan Dreadbow
    WindowsXP Pro SP2, AMD AthlonXP 2800+, ASUS A7V600, ATI Radeon 9800Pro/128, TB Santa Cruz, 3x512MB PC2700 DDR, Seagate 200GB, Maxtor 40GB

Comment

Will try the 5.11's tonight, see if those help. When you say fresh install, I assume you mean you removed/reinstalled Civ IV?

Thanks
      Lee

Comment

Might seem like a long shot but it worked for me :

Go here (it's about movies stuttering but it solved my crashes) http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=142232

Read about updating Blink and Miles Sound System..

Had exact same probs with ATI 9200 (CTD's, BSOD and auto reboots) and thought I'd tried everything until I saw that. Do everything exactly as it says - u gotta copy over drivers from here to there. It might just work.

Managed to play up to 1830AD until it crashed.. But that's another issue. Point is I managed to play for longer than 6 turns.. at last!

BTW, it didn't solve movies stuttering but it did stop all the crashing... (don't really care about the movies, I can at least play it now).

Comment

I'll give that a shot as well after I install the new ATI drivers. Never had any movie freeze or stutter problems, but I'm open for something new......

Thanks!

Comment

FYI if you look carefully you can still get the 5.11s without CCC (if you care)

Comment

Thanks, Choddo, found it, definitely preferrable.

Lee

Comment

So installed 5.11 drivers (no ccc) and installed new Python dll. Survey says? Finally finished a game I had saved!!!

So it looks like something in everyone's advice did the trick.

Thanks much all!

Lee

Comment

Working...
                X