Mutual wars cancels Defensive pact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutual wars cancels Defensive pact?

Everytime I declare war on someone that my AI allies are fighting, my defensive pact gets cancel... Shouldn't this be strengthen?

That would be an offensive pact (alliance against a specific civ) though. A defensive pact is activated when someone else attacks you unprovoked. It may need to be withing your borders as well, I'm not sure.

Comment

I've had an enemy attack me the turn after a defensive pact was made.. I guess he didn't like the alliance. Anyway, when he attacked me my ally went to war as normal but the defensive pact was dropped.

I've only done this once, but it does seem to nullify on wars.
      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Defensive pacts are voided the instant either of the parties declare war on anyone.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

There's a reason for that behavior: You declare war. The opponent retaliates and invades your territory. You shouldn't be able to ask help from the defensive pact since you triggered the war. In order to fix that, the ai should consider war declarations when considering its reactions, I think it would rewuire some code rewrite, but don't think it's so hard to do. So if Firaxis did it thus, I believe they wanted it that way.
          I think it does make sense: You declare war on A. B is allied with A and declares war back on you. You can't invoke a defensive pact because you caused the war in the first place (a bit like Italy in 1914, who ended up fighting Germany and Austria).
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by ghen
            I've had an enemy attack me the turn after a defensive pact was made.. I guess he didn't like the alliance. Anyway, when he attacked me my ally went to war as normal but the defensive pact was dropped.

I've only done this once, but it does seem to nullify on wars.
            Similar to my experience in one game.
            I was a peaceful builder and had a Defensive pact with the americans.
            Then at one turn the romans declared war on me (without being provoked).
            At the same turn as the romans declared war on me the americans declared war on the romans and canceled the defensive pact.

Looks like no matter wether you are the aggressor or the person being attacked, the defensive pact gets cancelled as soon as there is a war where your ally has to assist you.
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

defensive pacts are a single use item.
              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

Similar to my experience in one game.
                I was a peaceful builder and had a Defensive pact with the americans.
                Then at one turn the romans declared war on me (without being provoked).
                At the same turn as the romans declared war on me the americans declared war on the romans and canceled the defensive pact.

Looks like no matter wether you are the aggressor or the person being attacked, the defensive pact gets cancelled as soon as there is a war where your ally has to assist you.
                This is exactly how the pact works.

Sometimes, it would help if people read the manual or even the civilopedia entry before starting a thread on the forum.
                The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

I know it's obvious, but it might bear pointing out:

The war declarations are also canceling ALL of your defensive pacts, as well as all of them that the AI players involved have. So if American had DPs with three other civs, those are toast too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fosse
                    I know it's obvious, but it might bear pointing out:

The war declarations are also canceling ALL of your defensive pacts, as well as all of them that the AI players involved have. So if American had DPs with three other civs, those are toast too.
                    Of course. Even if A likes B and B likes C, it isn't guaranteed that C will help A in war time.

Comment

Say A and B have a DP, and B has an additional DP with C. Now D declares on A. The DP triggers and B declares on D in response.

What happens then is that the DP between B and C is also cancelled?

That's slightly weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                        Say A and B have a DP, and B has an additional DP with C. Now D declares on A. The DP triggers and B declares on D in response.

What happens then is that the DP between B and C is also cancelled?

That's slightly weird.
                        I think you're correct. At least that's the way I would interpret it. Otherwise there might be a lot of world wars.

Comment

Working...
                        X