Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AI LOVES Feudalism, Theology, Engineering, and Optics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI LOVES Feudalism, Theology, Engineering, and Optics.

I had a game where the other five AI's ALL had the exact same techs researched, so it became difficult for me to trade with them.
    Then i wondered, is there a reason the computer always goes for those techs? Maybe i should learn from them, and do the same paths as well? Or, just do something completely different, and hope to beeline to other techs and Wonders to get to them first?

I've seen this as well. for some reason, the ai has an aversion to alphabet, which bewilders me...

Comment

Feudalism: an important tech, in some cases available by a great scientist

Engineering: the same, another great scientist favourite

Theology: usually available when the first great prophets come online. If you see Monotheism fall right after you see the first prophets getting born, they won't take Theo. Otherwise they will.

Optics: the AI are not overprioritizing it, you're most likely underprioritizing it

As to Alphabet: indeed. There are 2 reasons for this: scientists at that time will generally pick maths (plus you will have very few scientists this early). The Oracle gives other techs as well. And the cost of this tech, related to how many wonders it discloses is rather high, which leads the AI to pick other techs first.

This hasn't been tweaked, while it is known for a long time. Essentially, it's one of the few breaks the humans are getting when competing on higher levels: by beelining for alphabet you can get there first, and at least get all the ancient techs in trade. If the AI would focus on it, this could not happen.

At lower levels, it's sometimes ridiculous, though. All you need to do is research a beeline from time to time, and you can trade for everything. This works until you get to Education or so. But the moment alphabet gets passed around, you either hit a tremendous hole where the AIs speed passed you in research, or you've got eliminated enough of the competition so you only need to worry for 1 or 2 AIs (which can't trade techs either: nobody is up to their level)

DeepO

Comment

tha AI is also slow to gain chemistry, at least up to Monarch level. Which also means that I can roll them with grenadiers...

Comment

The main point is all the ai's eem to use the same tech path strategy, whereas one could think of some beelining, adjusting based on their favorite civis, traits and unique units and the presence or not of large seas in/near their territories.
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
            The main point is all the ai's eem to use the same tech path strategy, whereas one could think of some beelining, adjusting based on their favorite civis, traits and unique units and the presence or not of large seas in/near their territories.
            True, but all humans will favour the same techs as well. Everyone loves alphabet, everyone will love IW, etc.

Chemistry: It's another expensive tech in its era. Which means that the AI are more likely to pick something cheaper to research first. Plus, there are some techs nearby that lead to wonders... these are more important for the AI.

DeepO

Comment

I've noticed that while it isn't universally constant which techs the AI researches per game, they tned to all favor the same general research. Maybe only one AI civ researches at a time, and shares it with everyone, then passes the research baton to the next. =p

The computer tends to favor Monarchy and Feudalism much more heavily than I do. They are also heavily prone to getting the offspring of Mathematics while I'm busy collecting my Great Artist or pursuing Forges. I'm a chronic restarter, so I don't see to much trendiness in the later game, but chances are the observations in this paragraph are more my de-emphasis than their emphasis.

Comment

Working...
              X