Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hinduism as early religion rush on Monarch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinduism as early religion rush on Monarch?

Hmm. If I start with Mysticism (I generally play as a random civ), then I typically try and get Buddhism as my first religion/tech.

On the other hand, I found that the AI always beats me to it on Monarch by a few turns. However, I always see that the AI gets Hinduism several turns later.

So.. is Hinduism a better early religion in SP since the AI doesn't really go for it in the early game?

Well the religions are all the same, gamewise. So go for the one you can get.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I normally go for polytheism since that sets you up to get Judaism as a follow up.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Polytheism has more options...it leads to monotheism (which leads to theology), so theoretically, even if you're not the first to get Hinduism, you can still go for Judaism or Christianity...

I think Polytheism also has the Parthenon, which I find to be a great GW if you have marble and get it early on...

Comment

Re: Hinduism as early religion rush on Monarch?

Originally posted by cal_01
          So.. is Hinduism a better early religion in SP since the AI doesn't really go for it in the early game?
          I think the AI is simply trying to grab a religion ASAP; Bhuddism is the quickest to research, so that's what it goes for - I don't think it understands the strategic advantage that hinduism gives you that early in the game..
          Dom 8-)

Comment

This is a really interesting question. I never know what to do when I start with a mystic civ. I play on Monarch for now.

My experience shows that:
            - If an AI starts discovering Meditation or Polytheism right after the game begins, it will get the religion. Its research speed is more important.
            - If an AI has mysticism it goes for either religion with about the same chances. I think it's like when the human player sees the religion advice for the tech choice: sometimes it prefers Meditation (when the research capacity is high) and Polytheism on the other cases.
            - Polytheism is useful to Judaism later.

However, on high difficulty settings, unlocking worker abilities seems more important than getting a religion. That's why I hate beginning with Mysticism: it means I lack one "useful" technology, because of Mysticism. I usually prefer waiting until Confucianism or Taoism, but I think I'll open another topic to discuss this.

Comment

If you want one of the first religions on Monarch I've found you 100% want to try for Hinduism and not Buddism. The computer is far more aggressive in my experience in going after Buddism and as noted Polytheism is a far better thing to get early on than Meditation; I generally trade for Meditation after I get Alphabet rather than research it. However, I agree that getting any of the three early ones is a long shot if you don't want to go straight for it and that doing that isn't worth it. However, if you are in a situation where you can afford to go for a religion you can and should go for it. It seems like those civs that don't start Mysticism won't go for a religion that aggressively, so sometimes the AI gives you a good opening to get Polytheism or Monotheism first. But I've never seen a game where I got Buddism and couldn't have had Hinduism instead.

Comment

Hmm, good points everyone!

I was doing some testing last night, and I got Mao. I sat my city near an Oasis (2G a turn) and went Mysticism and Polytheism. I grew a bit too, but I can't remember where I put the other citizen.

Surprisingly, I only missed Polytheism by one turn, even when I had to get Mysticism. At that point, I didn't go for Judaism and just went my usual Mining/Bronze Working route for Slavery.

So, maybe only go for an early religion if you have Mysticism or Financial (that contributes to beakers, right?). Otherwise, you're SOL?

Comment

On Monarch I've found that if I have Mysticism as one of my starting techs, I can usually get Polytheism first. If I have to research Mysticism, I can usually get to Monotheism first if I beeline it. If I'm starting without Mining or Mysticism then an early run at Code of Laws is likely a better bet.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I think you can get Code of Laws popping a Great Scientist, no? Hmm. I wonder if that's abusable early on.

Comment

I don't think a great scientist can be sacrificed to get Code of Laws.
                      However, Philosophy can be researched that way. Or, if you have a Great Prophet (from Stonehenge or Oracle for example), use him to get Theology. You won't be beaten.

Comment

I´m playing on Monarch and even though i never start out with Mysticism, in most cases I'm still able to grab Hinduism - or at least Judaism. A.I always seem to go for Buddhism.

However, I have noted also that while on the higher difficulty levels (at least on Monarch) it is relatively easy to grab an early religion even as a non-spiritual civ, those later religions are considerable harder to get.
                        During those games I in fact missed the early religions, I missed the later religions also no matter how hard I tried going for them.
                        GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                        even mean anything?

Comment

I have gone for worker improvement techs, and forgotten about hinduism and buddism. After the worker techs are done, and my civ is started, then begin to look for religion.

I can usually grab christanity, if I beeline for it. It is even easier if I can use the oracle to get Theology.
                          Early to rise, Early to bed.
                          Makes you healthy and socially dead.

Comment

I can get Hinduism (via Polytheism) every game. I always beeline for it straight off the hop. Buddhism I never even attempt.

Comment

Working...
                            X