Can't build Space Elevator - Bug or Undocumented Requirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't build Space Elevator - Bug or Undocumented Requirement

In a recent OCC game played on an Archipelago map, I could not build the Space Elevator after researching Robotics. When checking World Wonders that had been built, the Space Elevator did not appear on the list either, so one of the AI did not build it first. I am pretty sure I was first to learn Robotics in any event.

Attached is a save I made just before the end of my game. It still does not list the Space Elevator as available or built. After checking around with Wordbuilder after my game, I could find no trace of the Space Elevator in AI cities, so am wondering why I was not allowed to build it.

Is this a bug, or is there an additional, but undocumented requirement for building this wonder?
    Attached Files

I havent had any problem building it but I wonder if you need apollo first?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

No, Apollo is not needed to construct the Elevator. I could construct both projects at the same time (in different cities, of course).
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I've read somewhere in this forum that the city had to be "near the equator". Since I can't find that in the manual or civopedia -- and if it's true then that would be an "undocumented requirement".
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

I think Civilopedia does mention that the Space Elevator needs to be in proximity to the equator. I do not have Civ4 on this machine so unfortunately I can't view the save to shed some light on this, but the lack of cities near the equator may be the reason why there's been no Space Elevator building going on.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

In civopedia, the "history" description of the Space Elevator says

the basic concept is simple; a satellite in geosynchronous orbit is connected by cable to a stationery or mobile platform somewhere on Earth's equator...
            That's the only reference I could find -- and it didn't seem phrased as a game element -- although apparently it is for our collective experience playing the game.

However, this begs the question what the game mechanics consider the equator to be on the "tilted world" map?
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Must be the Equator requirement, since my city was near the top of the map. I have always been able to build it in all previous games where my city location must have suitable, so had forgotten about this extra requirement. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Interesting
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I managed without the Elevator, but had saved up two Great Engineers in order to rush buy the wonder in one turn, since this can not be done for Apollo or SS parts.

I wish the Equator requirement could be waived in OCC games, where there's never a chance for an Equator city unless you start close enough by chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                    That's the only reference I could find -- and it didn't seem phrased as a game element -- although apparently it is for our collective experience playing the game.
                    If it's just that, then I'd jot it down as "undocumented", because that definitely does not inform the player that the elevator must be near the equator, since it's just deep inside there in the details section.
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

And how close is close?

Comment

Must check some previous game saves to see if my city touched the Equator or was "close enough" to count.

Comment

This is from the files:

PHP Code:
                          <iMinLatitude>0</iMinLatitude>
                          <
                          iMaxLatitude>30</iMaxLatitude

So basically that means you can be 30% up or down from the center of the map.

**edit:

Correction: Since there is a total of 180 degrees from top to bottom, and you get a range of 60 degrees to build it in, that means you only have 16.6% up or down from the center of the map, giving you a total range of 33.3% map range to build it in.
                          Last edited by MattPilot; November 26, 2005, 14:12.

Comment

Mmm, Ice Age maps suddenly sound even more appealing.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I have checked a few save games.

In one I had one city very close to the Equator and others at various distances from it. Some of these could build the wonder, and others could not.

Since latitudes are not given for each city, it can be hard to tell if you are close enough to the Equator, but I've noticed that if you center the map on a city and then zoom out until clouds appear, you will be able to build the Elevator if the white box in the mini-map touches the Equator. At least this seems to be the case on standard maps.

Also, I think this confirms the Equator requirement for sure. A city has to be close enough in order to build the wonder.

Comment

Working...
                              X