Fresh Water on Tiny Islands maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water on Tiny Islands maps

I just started a game on a tiny islands map, and noticed something... There's no fresh water.

I opened the world editor, and I can't see any fresh water on the map.

Does this mean that on those maps you simply can't build any farms, ever? How do you grow your cities then? Watermills are out of the question as well.

I'm playing an archipelago map right now (standard size). I have no rivers- and therefore can't build 3 gorges or hydro plants. But my capitol did start next to a 1 square fresh water lake. It appears to be the only fresh water in the world (though I haven't checked everywhere yet). Needless to say, lighthouses are important.

Comment

Yup, lighthouses + coastal square is how you grow mainly, better hope for a couple of bonus food sources like clams/fish/sheep etc so that you can put some workers on some mined hills if ya got any...

Comment

Re: Fresh Water on Tiny Islands maps

Originally posted by Diadem
        I just started a game on a tiny islands map, and noticed something... There's no fresh water.

I opened the world editor, and I can't see any fresh water on the map.

Does this mean that on those maps you simply can't build any farms, ever? How do you grow your cities then? Watermills are out of the question as well.
        You should be able to build farms once you discover Biology.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Is the Nile, the Amazon, or the Mississippi on a tiny island in the real world? (Why not?)

You might get some lakes or tiny rivers on a Huge map size of Tiny Islands. Or you might not!

There is TONS of seafood, though, so rely on that and forget the farms. Build mines, windmills, workshops and cottages.

Tiny Islands is different, that's for sure. But that's good, right?

- Sirian

Comment

I understand the logic behind it. I was just a bit shocked to discover I couldn't build any farms.

So I thought I'd build windmills (never done that before, since mines/farms/cottages are generally better). Then I discovered I couldn't build windmills on grass/plains tiles. You might have put that in the manual you know

Anyway, it's an interesting challenge. Water tiles provide plenty of trade and enough food if you have lighthouses. If you found your cities near cows or corn or seafood you have enough food to quickly grow your cities or build some mines. Works well.

And of course, play as Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian
              Is the Nile, the Amazon, or the Mississippi on a tiny island in the real world? (Why not?)
              Maybe, but that's simply because there isn't 3000 miles worth of terrain for them to snake around in. Many islands and smaller landmasses DO have some kind of river, lake or stream. I wouldn't exactly call Britain a huge landmass, but the Thames is a very famous river that supports one of the largest cities in the world.

The one time I really played on archipelago, my starting land mass had a river on it. It was one square long, but it allowed me to irrigate once I had civil service. Granted, it wasn't a tiny islands game, it was the middle setting, but my land resources generally seemed to be overall better than my fishing, so it's a good thing that river was there!

Comment

I started with Wheat on a tiny island on an Archipelago map and was allowed to build a farm, although there was not any fresh water, so having a farmable resource will do the trick. After Civics is discovered, additional farms can be chained. Attached is an OCC start I used for doing this.

Comment

Forgot to attach the save, here it is:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't exactly call Britain a huge landmass, but the Thames is a very famous river that supports one of the largest cities in the world.
                    Maybe so, but Britain isn't really a tiny island, either...
                    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Any volcanic island is almost assured to have fresh water, the game doesn't simulate real land mass formations though.. it just puts squares together into shapes.
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

ghen--oo, this sounds interesting. Explanation?
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                        X