How much heals "medic" promotion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much heals "medic" promotion?

The manual says "units with medic promotion heal 10% faster". If this is realy so, this is practicaly nothing. Because if the units heal 10% per turn naturaly, and if the medic heals 10% faster, this means the total healing becomes only 11% per turn.
    But from the civilopedia description it seems to me the medic promotion heals 10% from the whole health, no matter how much is the damage and no matter how much is the basic healing rate. So if the healing rate on own teritory is 20%, then the total is 30%, and if on enemy teritory the natural healing is 5%, then the total becomes 15%.
    So which one is true?

I believe it's 10% of total health per turn.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

One thing I was wondering was how medic and march stack. Does a unit in a moving stack that contains another unit with march and medic heal while on the move? Does it work with whatever level of medic it is that heals units in neighboring tiles, too? I've never tried it myself...
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

The way i understand it is that medic promotions don't stack. If you have 2 units with the first medic promotion, a third unit that is damaged will only receive the bonus once, and not twice.

The Medic II promotion extends this bonus to the adjacent squares. As far as i can tell, only the unit that is getting healed can not move. The medic itself can have spent his turn. The damaged unit just needs to be in the medics influence with an unused turn.

AFAIK, the "march" promotion waives the requirement for a unit to have an unused turn to heal. I'd imagine it can move into a medics field of influence and also get the bonus, although i haven't tested this yet and i'm only assuming.

Comment

I thought march only applied to the unit that has the ability, that it doesn't give you the ability to heal other units on the move, only itself.

Comment

I know for sure that March allows a unit to run around, fight, pillage etc and heal itself every turn. I also know it wont heal a unit running around with it.

I'm not sure how March and Heal1 interact. I suspect having both on the unit allows it to heal faster but I havn't tested this.

Comment

March by itself (such as with mechanizedd infantry) allows the unit to heal while moving. This is only at the units normal rate of healing however.

Medic heals all units in the same square 10% of their total health/attack (whatever you want to call it) each turn. When attacking cities it can be tremendously helpful, since it can keep your units at or close to full health even if they are attacked with artillery--important since sometimes it takes a couple turns to wear down the defenses of a city.

As far as I have seen, the medic units must be resting for his ability to work (or fortified). His ability will only affect other resting units.

Aggressive civs can get medic a lot easier than others, of course, since they start with Combat I (a requirement for medic). Later on, of course, one gains the Red Cross national wonder, which gives Medic I to all units produced from that city.

Multiple medics don't stack, of course. As I believe one of the game designers said it would be crazy to stack together say 10 medic units and heal all units to 100% every turn. I don't know if Medic I will stack with a hospital (which also heals units an extra 10% a turn).

I think the normal unit healing rate in enemy territory is something like 5% a turn. At that level, without a medic, it is fairly easy for the enemy to wear you down and destroy your units if you have to stay in in enemy territory for long. With Medic I it becomes a lot harder.

I normally use medics to heal my attacking forces quicker after taking a city. The ideal configeration for one army is to have twice the number of units needed to take a city and two medics. Then you take one city and let all the injured units heal with a medic, and move the rest of the army onword to take the next city. Units hurt that are still green heal in 1 turn or so with a medic once you've taken the city (I think you heal 10% a turn in friendly territory, which the city is, so that's 20% a turn with a medic).

-Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
              X