Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: rifleman with chemistry

Hi,

at the moment I am playing a game with Washington being my hardest opponent. He is on the other side of an inland sea map so he is not a real threat military wise at the moment.
    However I have stationed one of my chariots in America I had send there 2000 years ago (it 1600 now). Because he started to make demands I started to investigate his cities.

Now here is the bug:
    He just finished chemistry and guess what I found stationed in New York?! Rifleman!

His other latest discoveries are replacable parts and corporation (and no rifling!).

Is it possible that you cannot see the AI latest tech discoveries (maybe they are visible two turns after discovery??) or is this really a bug?

I was dumbfounded by this and it would be really messy to discover Katarina builds her cossacks several turns before I can counter them efficiently. (currently at war with her as my direct neighbour)

Has anybody else noticed something like this?

Ok, maybe the Rifleman was a gifted unit from another AI player? That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Comment

Maybe a technologically more advanced civ made a gift to Washington giving that rifleman?

(Do AI civs make gifts between themselves?)

EDIT: Diplomatic beat me
      HTTP Error 404 - File or Directory not found
      Internet Information Services (IIS)

Comment

He is No1 with me tech and point wise.
        Besides he's got 15-20 of those buggers!
        Last edited by regar reed; November 25, 2005, 06:05.

Comment

What do you mean seeing the AI discoveries? The only way to do so is when it is eligible for trading - and this only happens if you do not know the tech and can discover it yourself. You will not see the tech the AI has, if you don't have the prerequisites for it yet.

Do you know Rifling yourself? If not, do you know both Gunpowder and Replaceable Parts? If not, then you won't see him having Rifling.
          The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by regar reed
            He is No1 with me tech and point wise.
            Besides he's got 15-20 of those buggers!
            Well, if he has the technology, then having 15-20 of them is not a problem, as all earlier game melee and archery units upgrade to riflemen. And Washington, being Fin/Org, is a cash whore, so no problem for him to afford this.
            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
            - Frank Herbert

Comment

Ok, I do not know if I already have replacable parts or not. Should only take a few rounds if not. Forgot about that.

But on the other hand that would mean he has a two tech lead. Which brings me to the question of what exactly a golden age does.
              Has anybody an idea of how much production, gold income and sciense are boosted?
              Since I researched Liberalism I got a free tech and was two techs in the lead. Then he got his golden age. Now I am at least one tech behind. That sounds like an awesome increase. Also he has to get the money for upgrading frome somewhere.

Comment

Off the top of my head, I think it's each square that produces at least one production or trade produces one more. If you add in the effects of forges/factories and markets/banks this can have a large effect on output, although GAs are less effective without these improvements.

Comment

Well, if he has the technology, then having 15-20 of them is not a problem, as all earlier game melee and archery units upgrade to riflemen. And Washington, being Fin/Org, is a cash whore, so no problem for him to afford this.
                  The AI can and does upgrade his units ASAP he achieves a tech using cash. I seen this before. Suddenly you got a bunch of riflemen or cavlary running around!

Comment

Originally posted by regar reed
                    Also he has to get the money for upgrading frome somewhere.
                    IIRC the AI gets a huge discount for upgrading units so that would explain their ability to upgrade vast armies while you can not.
                    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

I've seen plenty of AI not able to afford upgrades.. mainly when I pull all their GPT with resource trading (stuff like horses/marble late game... HA!) so they will have one mech inf in a city with 20 inf for a good 10 turns or so letting me whittle them down.
                      ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by clarkcd
                        IIRC the AI gets a huge discount for upgrading units so that would explain their ability to upgrade vast armies while you can not.
                        Too bad they don't upgrade

At least on noble it doesn't seem like they ever do
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Different AI have different strategy patterns. Some go for mass cheap units.

You could always try lowering the AI handicap cost in the XML for upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

Too bad they don't upgrade

At least on noble it doesn't seem like they ever do
                            They definitely do. I had the AI upgrade defenders in a city as my attacking stack approached. It turned an easy city to take in a tough nut to crack

Comment

I think what may have happened here is that in diplomacy talks, you cannot offer (or be offered) a technology that is beyond your current capabilities...if he had rifling, you may not have already had the prerequisite techs to develop it, and thus you would not see it in the list of the technologies he could offer...just a thought
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X