Pillage sound not working under path 1.09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pillage sound not working under path 1.09

I reinstalled my game. On v 1.0 you could hear a pillage sound (a reuse of another sound file). It worked.

Now under patch 1.09, the Pillage sound has a special made file called Pillage.wav added (so I expect the devs wanted this sound to play when you or the enemy pillage a square).

In the game under v1.09. There is no pilage sound when I or the AI pillages an improvement. This is bad since I rely on myself hearing feedback incase the enemy is making an incursion raid into my territory.

I believe the devs want this sound to remain, though it is more of a quiter sound. Still it is there in the folder to play, but in game it does not play when a pillage event occurs.

It is silent and disabled. Can I say it is a bug in the patch?

Hummm? I get a kind of "whumph" noise when something is pillaged now.

Comment

About time! I was thinking about erasing by myself the stupid sound. "EEEEEK!" no longer exists.
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
        Hummm? I get a kind of "whumph" noise when something is pillaged now.
        Really? Under patch 1.09? that is what it sounds like.

In v1.0 the Pillage was the sound of the city capture wav with a women screaming and breaking glass.

Under patch 1.09, a new file is added called Pillage.wav and it does sound more like a 'Thump!"

I do not hear it at all in game. I tried to unistall and reinstall the game. It does not work.

When I patched the game to 1.09, I got a message, could not find valid source code, but it did install anyway.

I wonder if others get the new sound to play, or is it completely silent as it is now for me. Remember, the unit attack sound is still played, the new sound is mixed into to it.

Plus, late year research is the same, I wonder if the patch is messed up and only installing half way.

Anyone can generate a file log so we can see what the hell the patch really changed? I find this sloppy patch process without a change log or 'complete' detailed readme annoying.

Comment

The tech research has indeed changed, but the cache needs to be cleared for the XML files to actually refresh. This might explain some problems people have had with version mismatches in the multiplayer lobby. The patch version is defined in the XML file, and if the cache doesn't get cleared the game still think's it's running 1.00.

Hold down shift next time your game boots. You should see, "Init XML (uncached)". You'll only need to do this once per patch.
          Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
          Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

Comment

Bring back the pillage sound!!!!

Come on!!. How can we be evil warmongers otherwise? We need to hear the screams of our victims.

Comment

I copied the file, so hopefully I can replace it after I patch. I can't live without the pillage sounds.

An interesting file I noticed was Strike. Has anyone had a strike? what is it?

Comment

Yep, had it in a 149 turn multiplayer game.

Essentially my military had gotten so big that I couldn't afford it and so was making -27 a turn with 0% science.

Result?

1 unit disbanded per turn
                Military units refused to attack.

I resolved the problem by mass pillaging of enemy improvements to pay for my military

Comment

The pillage sound under ver 1.00 is not "Citycapture.wav" -- it's "Cityrevolt.wav"

Comment

Yeh, GI your right, my Bad. in a hurry. Thanks for the correction.

Can I ask, does any Pillage sound occur for you unter 1.09? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
                      Yep, had it in a 149 turn multiplayer game.

Essentially my military had gotten so big that I couldn't afford it and so was making -27 a turn with 0% science.

Result?

1 unit disbanded per turn
                      Military units refused to attack.

I resolved the problem by mass pillaging of enemy improvements to pay for my military

That's so cool.

Little improvements like that make the game feel much closer to the real-life anctics of evil military dictators.

Comment

Yes, the new pillage sound played fine for me. I tried it at all zoom levels and it was fine. I replaced it right away with the old sound. I don't mind the scream and the glass breaking-- it sounds more like pillaging to me.

Now that I think of it, you know what it could be-- check your sound options. When I first installed, I had mine set on EAX 3, because my sound card has that feature. However, on that setting, I remember some of the sounds did not play very loudly. The ambient noises of the animals, for example. I couldn't hear any cows mooing or sheep bleating. When I changed the setting back to "system config" or just "stereo" then it was fine. I chalked it up to EAX trying to do positional sound based on the speaker setup, and it just didn't work right.
                        Last edited by GI_Joe; November 26, 2005, 05:42.

Comment

FIXED!! Yeppy

Hey, I figured it out. I noticed "Dis" did this too. So I got the idea.

I have to put the sound file Pillage into the "CustomAssets" folder. The place where you put files in to override the default one in the real sound directory.

Now it plays fine. Go figure. That is the only sound file I must have in CustomAssets to work. It will not play in the regular Sound folder in the root directory.

Now I made some improved sounds for Pillage, CityCapture, and CityRevolt.
                          Last edited by Xerxes712; November 26, 2005, 08:34.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Joe
                            Yes, the new pillage sound played fine for me. I tried it at all zoom levels and it was fine. I replaced it right away with the old sound. I don't mind the scream and the glass breaking-- it sounds more like pillaging to me.

Now that I think of it, you know what it could be-- check your sound options. When I first installed, I had mine set on EAX 3, because my sound card has that feature. However, on that setting, I remember some of the sounds did not play very loudly. The ambient noises of the animals, for example. I couldn't hear any cows mooing or sheep bleating. When I changed the setting back to "system config" or just "stereo" then it was fine. I chalked it up to EAX trying to do positional sound based on the speaker setup, and it just didn't work right.
                            I had some problems with EAX 3 as well. I'm using 5.1 discrete sound right now. Seems to work okay.

Comment

yep putting the sound file in custom assets works well.

Screaming civilians

Though it doesn't make much sense when you are pillaging water tiles. But neither does a thump.

Comment

Working...
                              X