Bombard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bombard?

Where is the bombard option on my artillery?

In fact cannons, machine guns and artillery are all a complete waste of space. Okay you need one or two to knock down a cities defence. But in the filed they are next to useless, and not worth the points to build.

I much prefer the civ 3 model.
    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Bombard only appears when you are adjacent to a city that is providing a positive defense modifier and looks like a red and white target circle.

If you rush to artillery they can wipe out a rifleman equipped civ on their own. If you're ahead of the tech race by gunpowder, of course you don't need to be so careful to build a balanced force.

Personally I think the problem is that cannon are too slow to arrive in the gunpowder era since its only a couple more techs from them to artillery.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

But by the time you get artillery, Marines should also be available, and are probably the mainstay of your army anyway.
      The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Aren't machine guns defensive units rather than bombarding units? They shouldn't be able to knock *anything* over.

Bombarding units are mainly stacked unit killers. They may lose and be destroyed, but they'll knock about a third of the health off of 6-8 units on the same space, forcing the other player to either fortify or push on with weakened units.

Comment

Machineguns can't initiate attacks at all in this game. Think WWI machinegun nests.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Aren't machine guns defensive units rather than bombarding units? They shouldn't be able to knock *anything* over.
            You're correct -- in fact, in my latest MP game, I lost two MG nests to a cavalry rush of 3. Thank god I was smart enough to build backup units on reserve

I much prefer the civ 3 model.
            CtP

Comment

Working...
            X