Theocracy not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diadem
    Of course I can still spread it if he already has another religion. But it'll be a lot more difficult. If he has no religions I only have to convert one city, doesn't matter which one. If he already has a religion I need to convert a lot more, and then get him to switch somehow. That's harder. A lot harder.
    Its good practice anyway. Unless you are the only civ pushing a religion, you want to convert the majority of their cities to ensure they stay converted. In many games I have had almost all the world worshipping with me for a while, only to lose them to later religions when they get spread around more than mine.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

You should convert him to all religions you founded, that'll give you much money!!!!!
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Only if you get multiple great prophets, presumably?
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Of course, but if you found multiple religions I don't see the point of not trying to get multiple great prophets as well.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

That might work if you could *buy* technologies.

Otherwise I think the time spent on building missionaries costs you so much that all the gold in the world won't make up for it.

By the way, the 1 gold per city with the religion. I am right in assuming that this gold is not payed by the owner of that city, yes?

Comment

By the way, the 1 gold per city with the religion. I am right in assuming that this gold is not payed by the owner of that city, yes?
              Correct.

If the gold was paid by the owner of the city, you wouldn't get any extra income from spreading the religion to your own cities. (and you DO get extra income from it)
              The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

Damn that. It's so stupid.

Organised Religion allows you to build missionaries and speeds up construction a lot. I could have converted him manually long ago, but I wanted to be sure I didn't accidently spread the wrong religion before I could convert him manually.

All that time wasted for nothing... Bah.

Lucky the game has just spirited away my savegames. Gives me a good reason to restart :P
                Don't forget if you have "foreign" religions in your cities, the owner of the holy city gets golds and is able to see your cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold

Its good practice anyway. Unless you are the only civ pushing a religion, you want to convert the majority of their cities to ensure they stay converted. In many games I have had almost all the world worshipping with me for a while, only to lose them to later religions when they get spread around more than mine.
                  You make a good point here Grumbold, religions will spread as civs collectively move up the tech tree and more religions become available. Ultimately, it's a good idea to convert ALL of their cities to your religion to minimize the chance that they'll stray toward another faith.

Also, it should be noted that with certain wonders such as the Spiral Minaret you get additional gold for every building in the world of your state religion. So, if other civs build temples, monasteries, or cathedrals, you're racking in even more money!
                  "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

In my current Monarch game I was able to found Hinduism, Judaism and Christianity- three in a row. The fact is that you can actually use it as your advantage, as every religion YOU found, is a religion that another civ will not adopt for a long time.

So, if you found 3 religions out of 7, that leaves 1 religion to another civ, and 3 of the latest religions (Confucianism, Taoism and Islam) to the very latest parts of the classical age.

During this period you can just send one missionary for every civ you want to convert, as any civ of the game automatically adopts the FIRST religion available in one of its cities, unless they are a Theocracy (sometimes there are religion-less Theocracy civs)

When you will eventually build a GProphet, then another and again another one, you'll get approximately +15 gold for every religion you founded, so 3 religions make at least +45 (for a normal size world with 6 foreign civs circa)
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

You're kidding me right?

What's the point of theocracy then? It's utterly useless except for being able to determine which religion goes to your neighbours.
                      I think it's a penalty, not a bonus.

Comment

Uhm, why would having theocracy prevent what religion goes to your neighbours?
                        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                        - Frank Herbert

Comment

Late to the party, Marty.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Still, I needed to express my outrage.
                            The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                            - Frank Herbert

Comment

Possibly the wrong thread, but does having a state religion make it spread more quickly in your civ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale
                                Possibly the wrong thread, but does having a state religion make it spread more quickly in your civ?
                                According to the manual (or the tutorial), not just having a state religion, but having the Holy Shrine (whatever it name is) helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X