First to Research...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First to Research...

This is a list I made for myself, but I thought it might be useful. It's just a compilation of all of the techs that give you something for free if you're first to research them. They're in rough order of appearance. If you get a tech lead going and get to most of these first, you can rack up some serious advantages.

Meditation gives Buddhism
    Polytheism gives Hinduism
    Monotheism gives Judaism
    Code of Laws gives Confucianism
    Music gives a Great Artist
    Philosophy gives Taoism
    Theology gives Christianity
    Divine Right gives Islam
    Liberalism gives a Free Technology
    Economics gives a Great Merchant
    Physics gives a Great Scientist
    Fusion gives a Great Engineer

Note that all types of Great People are granted by techs, with the exception of Great Prophets. However, Great Prophet production is greatly facitlitated by founding a religion. A particularly useful pair of freebies comes from Liberalism and Economics, which reside in the same spot on the tech tree, which makes them a very tempting target for a beeline.

The Great Engineer from Fusion would be a whole lot more useful if he could rush SS parts, but he can at least help out by adding to a city or starting a late golden age.

The Great People bonuses are even better than they look, because they don't raise the number of Great People points required for the next one, and they don't subtract points from any city when acquired. When you get a Great Person the normal way, the game's balancing factors make it more difficult to get another. None of them apply to the free Great People granted by technologies.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

You could add "first to build (wonders)" which give extra tech

like (Priesthood->)Oracle
    Lernu la internacian lingvon!

Comment

As a Civ newbie I am having my first really successful game (on Noble) and except for only founding 3 religions I have gotten pretty much all of the other 'free' stuff/persons. I have a huge lead but I am not quite sure where to head from here. Do I use that advantage to go on a world conquering spree or do I just head for a Culture or Space Race victory?

Comment

Don't forget other advantages, such as first to circumnavigate gets +1 sea movement
        Dom 8-)

Comment

There are some other advantages to being the first to a tech-- Alphabet enables tech trading, so given some friendly AIs, you can try the tech brokering thing, with no AI cross trading. Paper gives map trading, which can really help with the "circumnavigate the world" trigger (you only need a map that goes around the world.
          We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"

Comment

Working...
          X