auto-update question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto-update question

I know the patch is currently unavailable, but I have a question. Did anyone who successfully patched their game have the game installed on a drive other than C? Mine is installed on my D drive (for space reasons) and if I do try to auto-update, the game just totally gets hung. I never get a message that says no updates are available, I can't go back, can't exit, can't Alt-Tab, can't do anything but power off my computer and restart it. I'm just wondering if this is because the game is on the D drive (don't really know why that would cause problems) or if it's something else.
    So far I've been able to play the game, with only minor graphic corruption - little black bits everywhere and "strings" on other leader heads. Kinda weird looking, but I have been able to complete 3 smallish games with no CTD or major problems once I turned off the music.
    Thanks for any input.
    - aslindy

What are the specs of your computer? Are you using the latest drivers?

Comment

I have a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4, 512 MB of RAM, GeForce 6600, Soundblaster Audigy card. All drivers are updated, also BIOS updated. Anything else you need to know?

Comment

i have civ 4 installed in drive D, and theres no problem with checking with updates (except there are none)

intel p 3.0 GHz
        1 gb ram
        nvidia 6200 drivers 81.94

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
          I discovered I'm just being a moron today. I had tried using the auto update feature while still running my firewall. Of course it wouldn't work. Disabling my firewall lets it work just fine.
          Too bad I have to remember to disable it before I try to update. Naturally I will only remember it *after* I click, and then it will be too late.
          But I do appreciate knowing my choice of drive won't affect updating ability!
          aslindy

Comment

It's a shame you can't alt-tab out of Civ4 to accept firewall update requests / check mail / order takeaways / do some work etc.

Comment

Originally posted by choddo
              It's a shame you can't alt-tab out of Civ4 to accept firewall update requests / check mail / order takeaways / do some work etc.
              I can, and do! ;-)

Cambo

Comment

Normally I can Alt-Tab out of Civ4 and back in again, but not when I try to update and can't. And sometimes when I try to get back into the game it doesn't quite work, and I have to Alt-Tab out and back in again once or twice before it actually works.
                aslindy

Comment

Working...
                X