No announcement yet.

Explain this route to me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first warrior should really path find north west so he can uncover 1 unexplored tile en route.
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

To expand on earlier comments, earlier versions of Civ rotated the tiles 45 degrees in order to make up/down and left/right movement cover the longest distance in the shortest amount of time and, for purposes of explortion, uncover territory most efficiently. Since Civ IV uses a different tile orientation, it is now the diagonals that cover the most territory most efficiently for purposes of exploring and patrolling, and the new orienttion can lead to paths that look a bit odd by the standards of the earlier Civ games. For the most part, I liked the old orientation better, although the new one will produce fewer strange effects on the edge of maps where land extends all the way to the edge.

Nathan

Comment

I've also found that when I set up to travel a fair distance, sometimes the route the unit actually takes as opposed to what the screen shows me is different. The route they take is the optimal route (on roads) so I haven't really worried about it.
        Avast, ye scurvy dogs, prepare to be boarded!

Comment

Originally posted by Godzilla
          I've also found that when I set up to travel a fair distance, sometimes the route the unit actually takes as opposed to what the screen shows me is different. The route they take is the optimal route (on roads) so I haven't really worried about it.
          I have noticed this as well. It's as though the route finder runs before each move just to make sure it's still following the best route. In case you put a road or rail there in the interim.

Good idea if you ask me.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah
            I have noticed this as well. It's as though the route finder runs before each move just to make sure it's still following the best route. In case you put a road or rail there in the interim.

Good idea if you ask me.

Tom P.
            Well, I've had a few chances to get frustrated when the first move along the path suggested is diagonally down, and when I approve the move, the unit goes diagonally up (for example)... The result being that I don't trust the pathfinding capabilities of the game and anytime units gets anywhere near opponents I take over each move for every unit.
            Last edited by polarnomad; November 23, 2005, 09:51.

Comment

Working...
            X