perrenial AI winners and losers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perrenial AI winners and losers?

it seems to me that civ4 leaders have their personalities coded a la civ3. haven't messed with editor yet, but obviously monty is an old nutter, agressive as hell, followed closely by alex and some other sneaky bastards.
    what i noticed, and admittedly my sample is only 5 games, is that certain civs seem destined to languish. monty gets to mid ladder at most. saladin is always in the top half. louis was good on both occassions. tokugawa is below par, ceasar at least average. cathy seems to always do very well.
    what are your impressions, are there perrenial winners or losers? should all AI personalities perform roughly equally in a large sample of games or should some always be also-rans if they contribute to the overall flavor.

Louie and I always have at least 1 war in every game we play.. its inevitable. Probably about half the games I play with him I completely wipe him out.
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

The Americans always seem to be the losers in my games, both under Washington and Roosevelt.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

america is usually middle of the road in all my games.

Japan suffers. I think their use of mercantilism hurts them.

Comment

Masu Mansa Is always top 2 for me whenever he plays.

In my game now however the Roosevelt is way ahead of everyone. He is 500 points ahead of MM who is in 2nd, and Im in 3rd.

Tokugawa always seems to be in the last 2, have yet to see a game where he is superior.

Comment

My only game with Washington, the current game he's in, he's way out ahead. I'm in the middle of the pack. Tokugawa has been near the bottom every game he's been in, and so is Napoleon. Although this game Napoleon is only there because he chose me as his enemy. No real trend in the performance of others.

Comment

mansa musa is nearly always at the front in my games, if he gets a fair space and time. I chalk it up to the ai workers cottage heavy improvements combined with the financial trait.

Comment

Re: perrenial AI winners and losers?

Originally posted by LaRusso
                Monty gets to mid ladder at most.
                I'm actually swapping off the 1 and 2 spots with Monty in my current game (Prince, Large map, Continents, 10 Civs, v1.08 ). He wiped Isabella off the map and now we share a border in the middle of a jungle. Should be interesting to see where this leads...
                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Re: Re: perrenial AI winners and losers?

Originally posted by Stuie

I'm actually swapping off the 1 and 2 spots with Monty in my current game (Prince, Large map, Continents, 10 Civs, v1.08 ). He wiped Isabella off the map and now we share a border in the middle of a jungle. Should be interesting to see where this leads...
                  dammit i only now realized that the patch is out. had no idea

anyway, some of your posts confirmed my suspicions. tokugawa is always down. always. check. something to be addressed, i guess...favorite civic works, but not always. obviously, he has no choice whether to implement it or not, and mercantilism requires specific civic traits and specific situation (he kinda tends to create that specific situation - hostility, rather easily)
                  mansa musa is always top half.
                  boris: i played roosevelt twice and both times he was top half.

one q....people complain that mansa musa etc is always in their games. when you choose say 10 civs randomly, does the game choose a) 10 civs and then within each civ a leader randomly, if there are two leaders or b) a leader randomly, and then discards alternative leader of the same civ and moves on to the next choice. i am not very good at maths but would say that the first variant gives you more chance to get single-leader civs, and those are mansa, monty, toku, etc.
                  dunno if the second way to choose them is better. otherwise, you get expansion pack and end up with 7 out of 8 civs not being the 'real biggies' and that takes away the flavor. you gotta have french, russians, americans, english, germans, chinese, etc in your games...

Comment

I have never been able to trade technologies or sign open borders with Tokugawa. I think Firaxis must be operating on certain 'cultural stereotypes', i.e. the idea that the Japanese are or were very xenophobic and isolationist. Isabella is usually quite hostile towards me, too.

Has anyone else noticed if certain civilizations prefer certain religions?

Comment

Does turning on the "random AI personality" option really work as intended?

Comment

Since most of us play relatively peaceful/builder games, civilizations which are Financial and Creative seem to be doing the best - that is why Cathy, Louie and Mansa Musa are usually near the top.
                        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                        - Frank Herbert

Comment

The two that always seem to be right at the top with me are Mansa Musa and Asoka. Roosevelt seems to be pretty good, though Washington isn't. I haven't really noticed a pattern among the rest...
                          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Hatsheput is constantly up near me on the score sheets, and the only time I lost, she won on a Space Race with 1 turn to go.

Montezuma is usually way low with me, then he gets mad cause he's so inept.

No other major 'truisms' for me beside 'yellow' at the top and 'green' at the bottom
                            Avast, ye scurvy dogs, prepare to be boarded!

Comment

Ashoka (sp?) and Alexander drive me nuts. Ashoka because he always seems to stay ahead of me in tech (even on lower levels like Warlord). Alexander has to be one of the most war-starting AIs in the game. Anytime his civ starts with a border near mine, I always end up in several wars with him that he starts, even when he is pleased and we have several trades that he will lose by starting a war.

It's gotten to the point that I just immediately wipe-out the greeks anytime I see them near me in a game.

Comment

Working...
                              X