Something interesting RE: Panzers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something interesting RE: Panzers

Has anyone else notice the "88" on the side of Panzers? Interesting. For those that don't know, scumbags (oops, I mean skinheads) use the number 88 as a symbol. The reason being H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. HH = Heil Hitler.

I just thought this was odd.

replying to myself here...

i just found out that tiger tanks had 88mm guns. this is probably the explanation.

Comment

Aw - stick with the conspiracy theory. It was more entertaining.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I noticed that as well. I also had to look into skinheads recently and found out that they are not racists. Racist skinheads represent only one faction of skinheads. In fact one of the most well known skinhead groups is an anti-racist group. I didn't know this before either. Just so you know, using skinhead to mean racist is ignorant. I was surprised when I found this out because I just assumed skinheads were racists as well. Look on wikipedia for more info.

Comment

Panthers had 75mm guns. But they were of such velocity that they were almost as good as an 88.

Comment

Originally posted by amicus curiae
            Just so you know, using skinhead to mean racist is ignorant.
            sorry - i should have specified nazi skins. but considering the context, i figured it was understood.

yes, panthers had 75mm's, tigers had 88's

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
              Panthers had 75mm guns. But they were of such velocity that they were almost as good as an 88.
              Depends on which 88 you're talking about. The Panther's 75mm KwK 42 L/70 was slightly superior to the Tiger I's 88mm KwK 36 L/56 , but not nearly as good as the Tiger II's 88mm Kwk 43 L/71.

The unit graphic seems to be a Panther, which never mounted the 88...oh, well.
              We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
              We forge our spirit in the tradition of our ancestors.
              You have our gratitude!

Comment

HH also happen to be my initials. And Frederic is my current favourite. Coincidence?
                -bondetamp
                The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                -H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by ez42x10

sorry - i should have specified nazi skins. but considering the context, i figured it was understood.
                  No problem, I just thought I'd post because I didn't know about any other type of skinhead until recently.

Comment

I seem to recall 88 being the tank of some "ace" tank commander...

Can't find any proof, though. Only 88mm when googling...
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Tanks tended to have numerical designations so the 88 may just be pure coincidence. There are a lot of numbers that could be significant
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        I seem to recall 88 being the tank of some "ace" tank commander...
                        Doubtful...most Panzer battalions used 3-digit turret numbers (Company #, Platoon #, Tank #). A few omitted the company #, but they'd be no higher than 44 (4th platoon, 4th tank). If 88 was ever used, it'd probably be a command tank.
                        We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude.
                        We forge our spirit in the tradition of our ancestors.
                        You have our gratitude!

Comment

Originally posted by ez42x10
                          replying to myself here...

i just found out that tiger tanks had 88mm guns. this is probably the explanation.
                          Yes, but this is not a Tiger. It is a Panther with a 75 L 70 gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta-V

Depends on which 88 you're talking about. The Panther's 75mm KwK 42 L/70 was slightly superior to the Tiger I's 88mm KwK 36 L/56 , but not nearly as good as the Tiger II's 88mm Kwk 43 L/71.

The unit graphic seems to be a Panther, which never mounted the 88...oh, well.
                            Slipped over from the Battlefront forum, no doubt.

Comment

There was a Panzer Abteilung 88 in Spain during the civil war, though.
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X