VDMSound to the rescue!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDMSound to the rescue!!!!

I have a middle of the road computer. Not too slow and way not fast.

System specs.

MB: Biostar M7VIGPRO
    CPU: AMD Athlon 2400+
    RAM: 1024 MB (1 GIG)
    Video: Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (Driver: Omega 2675a)
    Sound: On board Via with C-Media audio software and updated driver.
    DirectX 9c

With this system I have managed to play without incident: Warcraft III, Morrowind, Dungeon Siege, Pirates of the Carribean, Dungeon Siege II, CIV II, Gettysburgh, CIV III, and Pirates.

I of course encountered the render problem from my ATI card and applied their fix to the letter including installing cat 510 then trying 511 and finaly omega 2675a. They all ended the render error but caused a new CTD when the monitor clicked on to load game. I called customer service and followed the instructions about downloading xml file from Microsoft. It was MSXML 7sp or something like that, and still I got a crash to desk top after 7 hours of trying to get it to run.

Out of frustrated desperation (I will try anything at this point to get it to run), I opened the game with VDMSound. This is a program I use to run old dos games like Daggerfall, CIV I, and Colonization. It worked! I am now one very happy camper.

Now that I was in the game, I went to audio settings and was shocked to find the default audio setting to be C Media. The software and drivers that run my on board sound! Weird. Anyways, here is a link to VDMSound. I use 2.04. Might be worth a shot if all else fails.

Link to VDMSound:

Download The VDMSound Project for free. VDMSound is a modular, extendable soundcard (and other "legacy" hardware) emulator for MS Windows NT/2000 DOS boxes.
Working...
X