How random is random?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How random is random?

Is it me who's doing something wrong or is randomness when creating maps not that random as it should be?

I have set the game to pick random map size for my last 4 games, but for the first 3 games the map size was the smallest avaliable and with one AI only (I quit the to last of those games, because I didn't want to play a duel again). For the fouth game it looks to be the same (smallest map avaliable), but I can't tell for sure, since I haven't discovered that much of the world yet, but considering that all Civs are very cramped up, I guess the map is the same (or at least it's VERY small)

Also is there a way for the game to pick random number of AIs? I don't like to know from the beginning how many AI's there is in the game (kinda makes discovery more dull)
    This space is empty... or is it?

So nobody else who has tried random map size?
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Nope.
      But I had the same map, twice, two different games, different days, all civs randomly chosen, including mine (different ones - Egypt and Arabs), all the rest medium or random, except size (huge) and the kind of map (continents). . Warlord level.

I quit the second game as soon I discovered that I was playing the same map...So, I'll second you. How random is random?
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
        Nope.
        But I had the same map, twice, two different games, different days, all civs randomly chosen, including mine (different ones - Egypt and Arabs), all the rest medium or random, except size (huge) and the kind of map (continents). . Warlord level.

I quit the second game as soon I discovered that I was playing the same map...So, I'll second you. How random is random?
        I've seen the same thing using the defaults (Medium world, temperate, medium sea level, all else random). I got an identical map, same starting civ, etc. I also gave up on the random map size, since it always seems to give me a duel world.

Comment

The Randomize Leader Personalities function isn't random, either. You always get the defaults.

Comment

I've been meaning to ask this.

And what about combat results?

And is there a random seed like in Civ3? It seems like whenever I reload, I get the same crappy battle results.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
              I've been meaning to ask this.

And what about combat results?

And is there a random seed like in Civ3? It seems like whenever I reload, I get the same crappy battle results.
              I think they got rid of random seed for that reason. At least, I noticed that with the huts that I get the same thing no matter how many times I reload trying to get a tech advance instead of a map or some gold.

Comment

If you reload and do everything the same then the battles wil turn out the same, so far as I've noticed. If you mix things up then they can turn out differently.
                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Sorry if this is a lame reply, but I've read another thread about the "getting the same maps" problem, and I believe there was a way to fix it too. Unfortunately I can't find that thread anymore, and I don't know what the fix is, because I've never had that problem. Try searching the Civ4 Help forum for "same map" maybe?? I searched for "random map" but it wasn't there.

Comment

Ok, finally found it. Don't know if this will help:

Comment

Working...
                    X