Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get other civs to vote for you in UN elections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get other civs to vote for you in UN elections?

A bit of background about my latest game before I launch into the questions of this topic...

I was playing an epic game on a standard continents map, noble difficulty as Qin Shi Huang. Being alone on my continent, I was able to stay out of trouble for most of the game, except when Caesar in the early industrial era landed his paltry expedition of one cavalry unit to attack me.

Because Louis XIV was one of the first players to come into contact with me, I was able to cultivate quite favourable relations with him, and when I got to running Free Religion, the religious barriers for good relations came crashing down. Much later on, we even joined forces in wiping Caesar out.

Louis had friends on his home continent in Huayna Capac and to my absolute surprise Tokugawa, both of whom I was in turn able to cultivate favourable relations with.

Also on the other continent were this game's so-called axis of evil: Saladin, who had a fairly powerful empire in the northeast of the other continent, Caesar, whose situation was hopeless as his empire was hemmed into a medium-sized peninsular between Arabia and France on the eastern end of the continent, and Cyrus, whose situation was equally hopeless as he was eons behind in technology. He was also sandwiched between France and Arabia in the north west.

So in short, the world was divided into two alliances. One with me, Louis, Capac and Tokugawa. The other with Caesar, Saladin and Cyrus. I build the United Nations and hold the Secretary General elections, and I run for secretary general against Saladin. Naturally, I win the election, having more allies than Saladin, and those allies individually had more votes than Caesar and Cyrus.

But the next elections, I'm running against Louis. Naturally, in an election between myself and Louis, Saladin, Caesar and Cyrus abstained, not liking either choice. But Tokugawa and Capac voted for Louis three times before I took away the game in a space race victory. In the latter two elections of the game, Caesar wasn't around to vote, but he would have abstained anyway.

So I ask this, so I can consider this in future games that go long enough that the United Nations plays a role. Just how do you convince the AI to vote for you in the UN elections? Especially when the choice is between you and another ally.

All the tricks I used in Civ III (such as gifting techs and resources) to get on 'gracious' terms and earn the votes to win Diplomatic victories are proving ineffective. Its clear to me that there may be no quick fix. I've behaved honourably, remained loyal to my allies, at the very least, cold and unreceptive toward my ally's enemies and I still can't get anyone to vote for me when another ally is running against me.

Stupid AI favouritism
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

For UN Sec Gen the choices are UN builder + whoever has the most votes. From what I've noticed so far the AI votes first for whoever it has better relations with between those 2 with the exception that if the relations are the same then it votes for the AI civ. So if you've got an important vote coming up and you can't ram it through on your own, find some other civs that don't like the other guy, switch to their religion, trade with them, give them free techs, etc. Anything to make them like you more than the other guy. If possible get them to declare war on the other guy so they hate him.

The UN was the sole reason I didn't destroy the Egyptians and the Romans in my last game. I started on a huge continent with 5 other civs on it and destroyed Montezuma, Elisabeth, and Alexander but both the Egyptians and the Romans loved me and EVERYONE on the other continent hated me for some reason except for the other top vote holder. He loved me but obviously he's going to vote for himself rather than me. I could have destroyed them but I think they were worth more votes than I would have gained for myself if I had conquered them.

Comment

When I got a Diplowin it was a combination of shared religions and civics that swung it - in addition to doing all the nice stuff with trade, gifts, help etc.

I think the shape of the game in terms of power blocks and religion is a major factor and in some games it will be a more realistic option than others. The days of quickly bribing the Civ 3 AI are long gone, and even 6,000 years of imaculate behaviour isn't going to do it if the politics isn't right.

Comment

For the more warlike civs it just isn't worth it trying to keep up relations. Montezuma for instance. To make him like you, you'll basically have to give him every tech you ever get for free as well as all of your resources and declare war on whoever he doesn't like whenever he gets riled up. Not worth it. Tell him to shove it and destroy him when he attacks you.

Ghandi and several of the other more peaceful leaders are quite reliable friends though. You may have to cave in to the occasional tech demand to keep up relations but nothing too outrageous. I even managed to keep the Romans on my good side for an entire game last night with them on the same continent as me. That amazed me. I think the fact that every religion they knew about was founded by me had something to do with it

I also tend to make it a point of propping up the friendlier civs as soon as I discover them to increase the chance that my "friends" will have the upper hand on my enemies. So Ghandi, Hatsepshut, etc all get lots of free techs from me while Montezuma, Tokugawa, Ceasar and friends all get the finger.

Comment

Changing civics can help push a friend from pleased to friendly (and inverse). In a recent game I had to switch civics, get Universal Suffrage voted on, and after that they loved me enough to vote for me to win.
          It took me some time to realize this, but I had to act, because I would loose the space race which was going on already.

Having same religion helps. Having same civics helps. And something I use now regularly, they all have a prefered civic. When you run it for a long time you get huge plusses with them. In my current game I had a war going on with Kublai Khan. On monarch I had a hard time to build enough spearmen against his keshiks. Till I switched to Hereditary Rule. He made peace (paying gold) and since we have been best friends ever.
          Same wanting to be friends with Tokugawa, switch to Mercantilism.

Comment

Free Religion can sabotage a rival UN candidate if he has a lot of religion-based friends. If you can get him or her to accept it individually it is even more effective.

Comment

One problem is that gifting techs etc. not only doesn't buy you that much (sensibly enough, after all it's blatant manipulation) but it will upset other civs because you traded with their worst enemes.

Looks like it's another of those conditions you have to work towards from day one...
              "The asteroid to kill this dinosaur is still in orbit."
              -- Lex User Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Common Sensei
                Free Religion can sabotage a rival UN candidate if he has a lot of religion-based friends. If you can get him or her to accept it individually it is even more effective.
                I used Free Religion for the opposite reason... Because I couldn't convert to any of the religions of my allies, being isolated on my own continent for most of the game. I figured that I'd have a better chance of being elected if I didn't have that -4 for being 'heathen'.

Of course, it worked the other way too, because Louis was Jewish, Capac was Buddhist, Tokugawa was Christian. I don't know how Louis won his first term, but he put global Free Religion to the vote and it passed. Without the differing religions between my allies, he had no trouble winning the next two elections of the game, and I had a few close calls where he tried to go for a diplomatic victory.
                "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
                "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
                "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by James M
                  One problem is that gifting techs etc. not only doesn't buy you that much (sensibly enough, after all it's blatant manipulation) but it will upset other civs because you traded with their worst enemes.

Looks like it's another of those conditions you have to work towards from day one...
                  Yeah, well I was isolated for most of the game, so I was adopting a wait and see approach to my foreign policy before settling with Louis and Capac as my allies. Surprisingly, Tokugawa was another loyal part of this alliance.

Comment

Working...
                  X