Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yin's "What Civ Means to Me" Essay Contest: Unopened Special Edition to the Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So who did win this anyway?

My vote would have gone for lange17 but then again I'm lazy and didn't read them all. :P

Comment

I know its far past deadline but that isnt important is it ... I liked "lange17"s story a lot, and also "eris".

My story isnt as touching but I just found this forum and still want to tell it ... Civ for the PC was my first PC computer game. I got a copy (yes yes I know, but bought every Civ game from then on :-) ) from a friend who went into a prolonged holiday right after that. I didnt have a manual and had to figure out the game mechanics by trial and error.
      I never had as much fun with a computer game again.

Comment

Oh and i changed the game credits ... remember they were just a text file .. to spit out sayings ... :-)
        I think the form they were presented - just like in a movie - was pretty cool.
        It was the time I started computer chess programming. I was often sad I couldnt look at the code to try make the AI smarter.

Comment

lange17's post sounds ridiculously similar to someone I know. It's not that person, but for that reason alone, if this were up for vote, he'd get mine.

Comment

By the way, all: I have not forgotten about this and am close to announcing a winner.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

This is one of the weirdest threads I've ever seen on these forums...
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                This is one of the weirdest threads I've ever seen on these forums...
                What's one of the others?
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

No announcement here yet? If it wasn't already too late I'd just say that unlike apparently everyone one here I don't actually OWN a copy yet and can make best use of the prize.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Last edited by Hengist; January 11, 2006, 12:31.
                    Hengist.
                    Hengist's MiG Alley Site

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy

What's one of the others?
                      Anything from the OT would qualify.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

We have a winner! It was a tough call between Lange17 and Eris, but -- PM snafus included-- I have decided to award Eris and will be shipping the game ASAP. I'd like to highlight what drew me to their replies, though I thank everybody for taking time to give it a shot:

For me, computer gaming started as a refuge away from some tough family times growing up. I started on a Commodore Vic 20, then 64, then Amiga, then PC -- never stopped. Anybody who has been around Irish-Catholic fathers more often than not will have various degrees of stories about alcoholism, and there's nothing quite like cracking open the Ultima 4 box and losing hours upon hours in another world far from your own. Of course, I was careful: For me, computer gaming time was allowed (by my own decision) *only* after all my homework and other chores were done. This proved a great incentive, in fact, to get those things out of the way so I could have even more time for gaming! As such, I am convinced that computer gaming has done the following for me personally:

1) Provided an important emotional/psychological/intellectual outlet.
                        2) Spurred me on to manage my time effectively. (Gaming was a reward.)
                        3) Anybody who remembers early gaming will recall things like himem.sys, boot disks, etc. All the pain of trying to get cutting edge games like Wing Commander to load eventually gave me a lot of skills with the computer. The job I have now, in fact, is 1/3rd time devoted just to Web design and other computer-related issues -- and it was my gaming experience that taught me not to fear computers but to force them to do my bidding!

Well, my thanks again to everybody! I hope this thread wasn't too strange after all.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                          it was my gaming experience that taught me not to fear computers but to force them to do my bidding!
                          Amen!

I wonder, would 2/3rds of the world's geeks dry up and blow away if computer gaming had never been invented?

- Sirian

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian
                            I wonder, would 2/3rds of the world's geeks dry up and blow away if computer gaming had never been invented?

well, these geeks would just stay with stuff like the magic cards or go to some sort of conventions.
                            of course they might even choose to fiddle around with cars or get caught in some good ol' religion.

computer games are just a good way of keeping us socially challenged off the streets
                            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

That's right. If business ventures were decided by who plays the best magic card, Geeks would rule there, too!

Comment

Damn, I guess I should have also included a sob story, but I thought that would have been cheap.
                                Hengist.
                                Hengist's MiG Alley Site

Comment

Working...
                                X