AI Flaw - Not bringing Great ppl to safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI Flaw - Not bringing Great ppl to safety

Yesterday I noticed something strange in the way the AI handles great people.

I'm at war with Russia, I arrive at Moscow with a nice stack of Artillery/Infantry, I notice the russians have a great merchant in Moscow. Now, the odds aren't exactly in their favor, as moscow is defended by 2 riflemen and a longbow or so, they don't stand a chance.

The wise thing to do would be to get that merchant the hell out of there, pop it in a ship and collect some money to maybe topple this terribly one-sided war in their favor a bit. Instead, it just leaves the merchant there, awaiting certain death.

Anyone else noticed this?

As a matter of fact, I noticed the exact same
    thing yesterday !

I was at war with the Mongols, and had just
    rolled up my forces to 4 of their cities, and
    noticed a Great Scientist in 2 of them ! They
    had a turn to get them out of there to safer
    grounds (these were bordercities) but they
    just left them there !

Too bad you don't capture them.
    "Would you people please try to remember that I am EVIL !?"
    - Spike

Comment

Yes, as my Spaniards were rolling over the Inca Empire, then the Japanese -- I noticed two occassions where they had a great person in an underdefended city when my fabulous Spanish tanks rolled up. They could have just jetted the GP down the road to another city, but the executive decision was made to keep that Great Person in the city -- perhaps manning a rifle in a desperate attempt to hold off my crack, elite Spanish Marines.

Clearly the AI doesn't recognize the situation for what it is.
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

well, the Romans killed Archimedes after the capture of Syracusae, so it makes sense that you cannot keep the GP
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Or, the Soviets, British and Americans troops that captured (some willingly) German scientists.

Wernher von Braun was a german rocket scientist that came to the US and accelerated the US programs involving rocket technology.

Not to mention some of the other scientists that fled the Nazis before war broke out (Einstein is a notable example)

Comment

Yes Shogun, was going to mention the same thing. Would be nice to capture GPs. We could call them GPoWs.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
              well, the Romans killed Archimedes after the capture of Syracusae, so it makes sense that you cannot keep the GP
              So all troops everywhere fail to listen to their commanders when they say "bring Great Person X to me and don't hurt him"?

Weird.

-Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer
                As a matter of fact, I noticed the exact same
                thing yesterday !

I was at war with the Mongols, and had just
                rolled up my forces to 4 of their cities, and
                noticed a Great Scientist in 2 of them ! They
                had a turn to get them out of there to safer
                grounds (these were bordercities) but they
                just left them there !

Too bad you don't capture them.
                I wish you could capture leaders. I mentioned in this conquer city take tech thread. We all agreed it was unrealistic to get a free tech when you conquer a city. But to balance the builder and conquerer play styles, we could have it so you can capture their leaders (as the U.S. captured german scientists and engineers in ww2)

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor

So all troops everywhere fail to listen to their commanders when they say "bring Great Person X to me and don't hurt him"?

Weird.

-Drachasor

Comment

We could have it reflected by an RNG.
                    If you capture a city with a GP in it, there´s a 20% Chance that the great leader is killed during the battles to conquer the city (so in most of the times youz get him alife)

But of course, first the AI has to be fixed so that it at least tries to get its GP into safety if an enemy army approaches the city
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarxis
                      Yes Shogun, was going to mention the same thing. Would be nice to capture GPs. We could call them GPoWs.

anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

the ai didnt protect his 2 GL well enough when I unprovokedly nuked his capital that they were in. They didnt survve the experience either
                        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I never noticed this in game.

I did look at the xml, and XML and GPs only have an iAsset of 1. I read some where that is the AI's "value" of the unit.

Maybe that value is too low?

Comment

Working...
                          X