The cyclical nature of history and civilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cyclical nature of history and civilization

It seems to me that in Civilization there is no room for error. If you lose a key city early in BC, it will make recovery in AD almost impossible. For example, there is no chance for a major recovery or sudden explosions in power and influence in which have occurred throughout history.

Once a nation is powerful, they tend to remain so. And once a nation is not powerful, they remain so. To me, this seems to be a problem in the game.

I have also noticed that in modern times, the amount of territory you control has a disproportionate amount of power you have. In real life, small countries can be strong economically and even military, and even backwards countries can get nukes. In CivIV, even in modern times territory equals power and small states are less successful.

I think we have several once mighty empires that are also rans now. How about Greece/Egypt/Italy just to name a few.

In fact no country has managed to stay on top forever, but size does matter. True it is not everything, but a tiny country will not be able to end up as top dog.

None of that really matters to games, they are fantasy.

Comment

Working...
    X