Great game ruined by show stopper bugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amicus curiae
    It is absurd that you are forced to have such detailed graphics in a Civ game.
    Why? Civ, as like other games, does rely on people seeing the game box or searching the internet and deciding to buy the game based on screen shots. A game with graphics like Civ3 wouldn't nearly sell as much today, I'm convinced. Some people would simply laugh at how bad the graphics are.

Hell, there was more than enough grumbling about SMAC's graphics.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This is ridiculous! Civ 3 used under 300MB with 31 civs on an even larger map!

Even with less than 31 civs, I've seen Civ3 use more than 700MB.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Actually it seems that it really slows down with File I/O.

Once the game loads i can currently run it on my laptop with 256MB RAM
        (I tried the demo which ran, so i got the game. Upgrading RAM soon.)

Anyhow, that is what i think should be worked on is speeding the file I/O process.

Once it loads or saves, the game runs smoothly with all graphics setting turned to low.

I'd turn autosaving off but then when it does crash (mostly prob due to not having the prerequisite 512MB RAM). I need to get back in.

Comment

it doesn't seem to do much file IO on my machine. You sure that's not virtual memory access?

Comment

Well if getting more RAM fixes it, thats good.

So far all the crashes are when its autosaving, or when im loading from a save file.

And whenever it does Load/Dave is when it slows down. Takes about 15 minutes to load a game.

If more RAM = solution. then well i can do that

Comment

Working...
            X