Combat odds miscalculation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat odds miscalculation?

Hi everybody, I'm a new user. I have not read the entire pletora of topics in the forum (Ther's a lot of them!), ao please excuse me if the problem I arise has been already discussed.

I have taken a snapshot (I can't manage to properly attach it) while attacking an enemy city.
    It seems to me that the combat odds calculation follows a strange logic.

It is a Swordman (Strength 6) vs. Archer (Strength 3) combat.
    Both units are inexperienced (no promotions yet).

The total archer combat value should be like this:
    +50% Defending City (unit Bonus)
    +25% Fortification (5+ turns)
    +20% City cultural defensive bonus.
    Total is 3+95%= 5.85
    I see it is rounded to 5.5. I might presume an approximation to the lowest half or integer value.

The total for the swordman is:
    +10% Attaccking a city (Unit Bonus)
    6+10%= 6.6
    But this one is rounded to 6, effectively nullifying the Swordman city attack special ability.
    If the before mentioned logic still applies in this situation, it should have been 6.5.

A question arises: is this a bug? Or do the approximations for the attacker and defender follow two different rules?
    Maybe this strange bahavior is only noticable against the por swordman unit, I have not yet checked it in other situations.

Did anybody notice such strange calculations?

Here is the infamous snapshot.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ok, *some* bonsues actually instead of giving you +10%, give the enemy -10%. I know weird, huh?

5.85 - 10%(which is .3) = 5.55 which is rounded down I guess, I haven't paid attention to rounding.

Check out the combat log(ctr-tab) if you make an attack, should be 6.00 vs 5.55 if I am right.

I have noticed some weird results from the combat log, sometimes with a lot of bonuses bouncuing around some weird decimals can be produced, but they aren't off by much.

Comment

Sure it IS weird...
        I think it should have been in the manual or Civilopedia...

Comment

5.85 -10% = 5.265 There is still something I don't get.
          I suppose there is an approximation to the nearest half or integral value. I would have preferred not to have to suppose...

Comment

Nah all the bonuses are based on the units base strength which for an archer is 3. All bonuses are additive and not multiplicative like that.

If you want to get a real indepth look at the combat system and like math, check out: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=140622

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
              X