Is cultural victory set too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WolfEyes
    If you want a cultural victory, you do need to plan ahead a bit. (A creative leader is probably the better choice for a culture win).
    The 2 culture points a turn is pants compared to +100% great people points on Philosophical. (Is there a Phi/Cre civ?)
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Frederick, german empire. Although he starts with hunting and mining which makes it impossible to grab both early religions(ok it is possible if you play on a low difficulty) Creative is really a drop in the bucket, barely worth anything, we're talking about 50,000 culture, 2 a turn for 200 turns *3 cities = 1200 culture total before modifiers. Since modifiers don't come until late you are looking at about 2-2.5k culture from creative or 700 culture per city, bleh.

Philosophical isn't needed for a cultural victory, my fastest cultural victory on prince is with ghandi. Ind/Spiritual, you build so many temples it's sick, and indy+resources allow you to easily grab wonders on prince/monarch.

Comment

Actually, I managed to grab Judaism as Frederick in my Prince game.

Getting Code of Laws or Theology early on with Oracle is also quite achievable gambit.
        The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
        - Frank Herbert

Comment

Ironically, I think Creative is more suitable for early expansion, since it allows you to grab land. Like xxFlukexx said, the 2 cpt is insignificant and can be easily covered with the temple spam of a Spiritual civ. Gandhi sounds like a good option for it (plus you won't have Asoka around to bother you ).
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I honestly didn't go for cultural until 1950 in my latest game (Gandhi, Noble, 15 AI, large, no space victory); I was unable to keep up with the game leader (Egypt) in points because they wiped out Arabia and took a bunch of cities and started pulling away.

At the time I had researched almost everything and had 40000 culture in the capital; 30000 and 24000 in two other cities... Went to 100% culture by 1970 and needed at least one great artist to get legendary status in the third city, which happened in 2038 and I won the game.

The funniest part? The second city (which hit legendary around 2010) had one wonder; the Pentagon!

Comment

I can tell that playing at Monarch makes very difficult founding any kind of religion
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

The smart way to a cultural victory involves combinations of civics, great wonders, national wonders and great people.

The thread you want is this one :

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                  I can tell that playing at Monarch makes very difficult founding any kind of religion
                  Luckily you don't have to found it in order to get the cultural benefits, only the monetary ones.
                  While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

If anything I'd say cultural victory is too easy. I had to actually drop my culture percentage down to 10% in my last game to avoid getting a cultural victory before my spaceship finished on epic. 2 cities had been over 100k culture for hundreds of years and I had 3 or 4 others that were over 50k.

Comment

If you go for a cultural victory, you need to make a fairly early choice of the three cities you want to push to legendary status. They need production, because you're going to build wonders there. Then, at some point, you'll probably want to make the final push by putting them to culture production and assigning a hefty chunk of your income to culture as well.

Comment

Luckily you don't have to found it in order to get the cultural benefits, only the monetary ones.

That's the actual reason for founding a religion
                        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Kekkonen
                          If you go for a cultural victory, you need to make a fairly early choice of the three cities you want to push to legendary status. They need production, because you're going to build wonders there. Then, at some point, you'll probably want to make the final push by putting them to culture production and assigning a hefty chunk of your income to culture as well.
                          I'd forgotten the double-hit of assigning both production and national income to culture. I'd given it up as a strategy that is slower than going for the spaceship, but I can see where that would tilt the balance back in the right situation. (I don't see any point offering a win-by-2010 strategy in a game where you can fairly consistently win by 1960 another way.)
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Cultural victory in of itself is not that hard as long as you plan to go that route from the beginning.

What is hard is a relatively early cultural victory............
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Okay, I'm currently playing a game in which I've been pumping cultural from day one. Instead of trying to found the first 3 religions I beelined for taoism and all the cultural goodies at the top of the tech tree. With a philosophical civ and being in pacifism since forever I've been pumping out great artists seems like every 15 turns, with a few scientists mixed in for academies. All 3 of my culture cities are producing over 75 culture per turn at 10% culture rate. they're all over 20,000 culture and I'm currently researching 1 tech before gunpowder (not sure which that is hehe)

My second city ended up being placed right in the center of another civ, but I stuck with it and am now set to take 3 of his cities rather soon culturally.

I recently had hinduism and christianity spread into my cities so I can build missionaries and get them into the 3 culture cities now.

playing on a standard map, 7 civs, on noble. Lets see how easy culture victories actually are.
                              ~I like eggs.~

Comment

My strategy is to choose one city as the Great Artist city and only build Wonders which provide GA points. That way I'm guaranteed a GA. I build all the other wonders in the other two cities.

Dive for Free Speech which gives you +100% culture.

Religion is also quite crucial I haven't done it myself but maybe it would help if you found three religions in the three cities then build the shrine and every religious building there is.

Comment

Working...
                                X