No announcement yet.

How to pull yourself out of a hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that it's a lot cheaper and easier to fight back enemy attacks than it is to do an all out invasion with enough troops to actually take your opponent's cities. If you decided you absolutely had to conquer Montezuma you could focus on that while just fending off Khan's attacks until they offer peace eventually.

Most of the games I play at least 2 or 3 other civs declare war on me that are either in inconvenient locations or are powerful enough militarily that I couldn't easily wipe them out. Solution? Watch my borders but otherwise just ignore them until they offer peace and continue to build up in the meantime.

The rule of thumb I use for wars is that any war I can't win decisively within about 20 turns or so I avoid. If someone I can't quickly conquer declares war on me I move some defenders into position to repel their assaults and just continue building up. Eventually their empire will get war weary and they'll have to offer peace.

If I'm going to declare war on someone I wait until I'm in position to completely wipe out their entire civilization within about 20 turns or so.

Another good thing to do if you're in an unavoidable war that you can't win anytime soon is to focus on defending your borders while ruthlessly pillaging your enemy's territory into uselessness. Don't even try to take his cities just keep every worthwhile improvement pillaged for a few hundred years and he will fall far enough behind you that you can either ignore him or conquer him at your leisure.
    Last edited by khumak; November 16, 2005, 19:55.

Comment

Working...
    X